Reviews for "Sentry Knight Conquest"

Wonderful game. The mechanics are simple considering it's just shooting a single weapon and sometimes spells, but with the amount of enemy variety that actually DOES different things and aren't just increasingly spongey (I like that nothing is really spongey in this game), it does well enough that it doesn't get boring for the span of the game. I WAS going to say the game feels really easy, but World 3 onwards changed my mind. That mage fight, man, it's intense. Considering it's not meant to be "hardcore" or anything, the difficulty's at a good place honestly.

The graphics are one of the merits of the game to me, it's simple, cute, but it's totally polished and the animations are smooth. The music's not bad, and the sfx IS pretty satisfying, not that I know too much about sound. I would say the troll should get a different bullet graphic to indicate it does double damage, but that's about it.

All in all I can't think of much I could gripe about, except for maybe one thing. The way potions are done in regular battles make the levels a curbstomp long as the player doesn't get insta-killed by those goddamn bomb wisps or swamped by enemies, which is practically impossible if you've been upgrading your damage properly. Since potions seem to have a high drop chance after I reach 2/4 hearts, and I get a LONG ass invuln time (that should be cut in half), there's next to NO chance I can't heal back to safety immediately no matter how many times I screw up. I never even bothered to level my hp until the final boss, one level in regen and one in potion efficiency was already more than enough! I'd say outside of crate drops, the potion should be a once-per-level "spell".

I'd say that's about all I can think of to say. Perhaps more varied map hazards than pools of stuff that affect/deny movement would be nice. I like how you used the overused 3-star system in a way that actually involved different objectives for each level. The third star for the final boss was clever, heheh. Can't find the secret birds though. Anyway, it is a great game that I had the pleasure of playing, definitely one of the better games on Newgrounds. Good luck with the Greenlight, mate!

Great game, congrats on greenlit!

glad you like!
and thanks, my friend

Game design is good and all but i cant beat lvl 2 and pisses me off. Im not hating art work is awesome. But make enemines less tough like shotgun fox. everthing else is okay. Actually not everything else. Slime enemies are copied programming from minecraft it splits into more. u just took one less out and made it where a large slime makes small slimes. tsk,tsk,tsk.

Tyler responds:

Copied from Minecraft? lol enemies that break apart into smaller enemies has been a trope mechanic in games forever. Halo's Flood Carriers, Nuclear Throne's maggots, Sentry Knight 2's Rock Golem, Minecraft Slimes, Battleheart Slimes etc etc etc.

What an awesome little game great job folks.

This game was very good and very well made, and no doubt deserves a good score. On the formal aspects I got nothing to add (sounds, music, graphics). However, it was also a little disappointing to me (and, judging by the other reviews, others may feel this way). I liked the other Sentry Knight games a lot, and I was expecting a tower defense type. Instead, this one felt more like a "bullet hell" type of game. Also, the spells options feel a lot more limited than before.

Now, I'm not criticizing the search for innovation. For example, the rescue of pets during the progression was a great and fun idea - not only for the upgrade itself, but the anticipation it generated, got gamers wondering which would be next, and its power. Many successful gaming series change a lot over time, but the sin here was becoming more action than strategy I think. A sudden change in the game type may catch fans off guard.

Tyler responds:

Thanks for the review! Yeah, this one was always intended to be different from the tower defense series - all the tower defense Sentry Knight games will be numbered (Sentry Knight 2, Sentry Knight 3 [eventually].. etc). I'll make another defense game at some point, but right now it's fun to spin the mechanics into a different genre and see how they play.

In hindsight I understand the names might be misleading - I just like to use the Sentry Knight universe as a playground for new things, such as different genres (like this game) and trying out story-telling (next game). Anyway, it's refreshingly nice to step towards talking about concept and searching for innovation in these comments; thanks for the critique!