Reviews for "Playing With Letters"

Fun game!! Really curious about the secret ending now! :) Been trying lots of things, even seeing if I can see anything behind the Flash programming, but no avail so far... Care to let me in on the secret, please??

Thanks!
The secret ending is probably not something you will fund by looking for it, which is pretty interesting I suppose.
Sure, I'll send you a PM :D

Ah man, I love it. I'm a huge fan of word games and this was just gr8.

Terrible at riddles, though. Still stuck on the first riddle, but I'll get it eventually. :V

Great to hear!
It seems you've managed to solve the riddle by now, and beat the game, so I think congratulations are in order ;)

Thanks dude :)

This game is one of the best games I have ever played. I love the difficulty of it and the music, which really added to the creepy atmosphere, I really like the text as well!

Thanks a lot!
I'm very happy to hear that you liked both the music, the atmosphere, and the entire game!

This game is about solving puzzles by collecting and contextualizing visual clues and answering riddles. Both of this mechanical elements works well together: player is taught to notice both visual and textual clues and combine them in a proper way to get the answer. Sometimes text's meaning contains all the required information ("Math" and "Aibophobia" levels), sometimes only a visual clue (color) can give this meaning new direction ("Name Calling" level). This way the gameplay combines very well with the detective story against which it is set. Although operating only in the textual medium, player is forced to take notice on something unusual in the text itself, i.e., its visual properties, that serve as clues (not unlike a detective that looks for inconveniences in a convenient scene). This way the intensity and thrill of a detective story is masterfully achieved with what seems to be an absolute bare minimum means of procedural expressiveness, and are further enhanced with the story, the music and with the text animation and coloring (white against black background).
P.S.: I've played this game after I tried playing "A Sweet Typing Thrill" and got stuck on the "abjurer" level. Probably, the second game has put me in an appropriate mindset, and the puzzles here did not seem as difficult to me. Although the challenges in this game are objectively easier than in the second one, their subjective difficulty for me is larger due to the fact that English is not my native language. With every word-based puzzle I had to ask myself: "Do I even know the word that is hidden here?".

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Heh, thanks for leaving your thoughts, boticelly! Seems like you take the "review" format seriously ^ ^
Your analysis was entertaining to read! It's to a large part, pretty spot on :)
It seems like you enjoyed many of the different elements in the game too, which is awesome :D

I'd agree that the second instalment is more difficult, even though to a certain extent, these valuations are subjective :3
The games, although similar, differ from each other in theme. This one is more focused on wordplay, while the other one is more about outside of the box information gathering, and other types of puzzles.
I'm well aware that English is not everyone's first language; after all, it's my own third language. But seems like you did just fine either way, so great job!

Thanks again for playing, and for writing a review :D

this is a great game. It really forced me to think and study the letters to find the answers. it was also kinda frustrating too though, and I hate the feeling of being stumped or beaten. but it just made it better to eventually succeed. I'm off to play the sequel and am already looking forward to the third.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

It's awesome that you had a good experience playing the game! Yeah, it can certainly stump you for a while, but as you said, that's the only way to get such a satifsying feeling when you do solve something :)
Thanks for playing, and for leaving a review!