Reviews for "Iridescent"

Iridescent is a fun 2-D platformer that was simply a pleasure to play.

The graphics were pure pixel goodness and the music nicely set up a "spelunking through catacombs" vibe. But what really grabbed me was the delightful and intuitive color coded "spectrite stones" combined with a nice physics engine. Aiming with the mouse was a breeze, though I never really had to apply much "touch" and instead just blasted away at full power most of the time. Use of not just the usual, find the right color stone to match the button color trope, the game also involved "powering up" the stones with each color creating a different effect when powered. This was both an immersive and inventive approach by the developer.

The enemy design was also interesting, mixing up the usual blast away at them with an occasional need to lure some enemies instead of just killing them outright.

The controls took some getting used to as the jump function was a little stiff and I often had to walk up to the edge of a wall to jump up on top of it instead of the unusual diagonal jump from a few paces away. But the slow nature of our protagonists walking speed was helped with a dash function.

Dialogue was funny (though awfurry puny) and brief, just enough to get you into the action and provide a payoff after beating the end boss.

Overall a good game that deserves to be lengthened and / or given a bigger budget to see what else those stones (of new or different colors?) can do.

PixlWalkr responds:

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :)

cant...handle....the...catjokes CX

Just two words:really cool

A simple game with good graphics and story. I wish this game could be expanded further, if there ever were a sequel.

Cute enough and there's a pretty solid basis for a game here, but the physics feel really unpleasant. The jump feels sluggish and I get caught on walls and ledges pretty frequently. The crystals feel like they ought to bounce/roll a bit more, such as in the level where you have to get a crystal up onto a ledge to reach a button.

I'd also say you might want to make it easier to differentiate between the orange crystals and the red ones, because as it stands they're very similar colors and it's hard to tell which you're picking up.

I also was not aware of the dash until I pressed shift on a whim - you might want to mention the dash in-game like you do with the blessing of crystals function. I'm aware the controls are listed in the description, but I feel that you ought to have them in the game as well, perhaps even just as a bit of text at the start that says "press tab to view controls."

Music and art are fine. The enemies are a bit uninteresting perhaps, and the darkness of the levels doesn't seem to have a big impact on the game - the only time it seemed to really matter was the level with the descending platforms lit by crystals. It might be better to pursue interesting environments rather than stick with the darkness.

I think this is a really solid concept for a game, but the mechanics just aren't quite as polished as they could be, and there isn't a whole lot of depth - I think I might like to see more characters or more of a story to offset the simplicity of it. If you worked on this a bit more, it could be really great! The concept is very sound, and some of the puzzles are great - the boss fight worked well, apart from the character's movement.