Reviews for "Ice Story ( 氷物語 )"

Been reading the reviews and thinking about the controls... I typically like having a jump button in games but while playing I WAS wondering about using the UP arrow to jump instead. You could add support for both UP arrow AND a jump button so people can choose either.

I also did find myself instinctively pressing down to drop through plafforms, although this doesn't need to be an ability. Maybe it's problematic because people do instinctively try it and end up dashing instead... What if C makes you DASH if you aren't carrying an enemy and THROW if you are carrying an enemy? That would let players focus on tapping C twice to complete the grab / throw process, less likely to get mixed up with different buttons.

Also the intro could have a "Press Z to SKIP" note in the bottom corner to make sure players are aware.

Love the music and art! Only other issue is whether the difficulty is too oldschool - which plenty of people like - but nowadays I prefer something where I get infinite chances to complete a level, vs a limited set of lives to complete all levels.... Or maybe some hybrid where you have limited lives, but every 5 levels reaches a checkpoint you can continue from infinitely.

Tom thanks :)
I need players to be able to carry more than one dino. I know, this isn't evident in this version, but carrying three or more would be higher risk and higher reward, with a score bonus for consecutive portal throws.

So one button for DASH and THROW isn't going to work. It used to be that 3 buttons were super-acceptable for an arcade game, what happened since :S I'm racking my brain to find a simpler control scheme. People hated the 2-button controls too, even though it was more well-thought out.

I hear what you're saying about the old-school difficulty. I'm liking those ideas. My original plan to make it more modern was to implement a continue feature, based on your score. Like, buying continues at the expense of your high score. That would theoretically motivate retro fans and convenience more casual players. But as it's an LD game, I didn't have time to even implement score.

Thanks for the kind words.

Good game bruh.

hey thanks :) I'm a sis

Fun, cute game and for some reason it gives me a nostalgic feel. I would rate 5 but it has glitches, for e.g. sometimes you can dash out of the level.

I quite liked this game, but it took some time to get used to the many quirks.
Like not being able to pick up a dinosaur after it stopped bouncing. Some levels this got to be a huge annoyance as it got thrown across the level, and by the time I could get to it, I could no longer pick it up.
Not being able to press up to jump, and having down move me really far forward, with no way to stop it. Personally, I'd prefer up be jump, and dash be X. That would have helped tremendously. Like some have mentioned, having both a jump button and up would be nice, but I'd like the option with dash as well. Heck, customizable controls would solve all these issues.

I can see the potential for this game, and being someone whos favorite games of all times includes snow bros, bubble bobble, and liquid kids I'm really excited to see what you do with this game.

castpixel responds:

Boldot thanks so much for taking the time! It's great to see people excited about this silly thing.
I'm taking notes, all of your suggestions are great. I think once the dinos are down it's fair game that you wouldn't be able to pick them up, but I agree your time window to catch them is limited right now. I'll have to tweak it, maybe with bouncier dinos or a slight bullet time on impact so you can plan your course.

I'm reluctant to let people completely customize all the controls, because when I made the change from 2-buttons to 3 I found people who were happy with the nintendo-style controls became very frustrated. This is going to take a lot of tweaking. Up as jump would be terrible on a controller. I'm still struggling to solve that one.

Thank you so much for taking the time!

game has a nice concept, but the dash function needs tuning. she won't always dash and the dash is delayed