00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Reviews for "Cube Escape: The Lake"

Enjoyed the game very much. But I am not clicking links to other sites to finish it. Call me paranoid or just distrustful but no way Jose. A straight link saying "more games like this here" would have me checking out your other games.

This has potential. The coding is excellent, no glitches. The graphics are superbly drawn, as I even noticed that the two views of the table agree with each other as the roots grow. Although the puzzle is simple, it is not linear and brings about its own twist.

However, a bad marketing tactic ruins it all. Newgrounds is an old community, and we have made ourselves clear about what we hate. Forcing us to play another game is borderline outrageous; forcing us to play another game at another site is a sheer disrespect to Newgrounds and its community. Next time you cold use more common sense.

Not bad although the alternate ending was a waste of time in my opinion was not anything unique or rewarding for going through the trouble

First, the game was either piss-easy (90% of it), or almost nonsensically difficult (the remaining 10%). Now, I may be missing some fundamental concept as to what the word "mirror" means to you, but that is NOT what was needed to solve the "puzzle" with the turquoise chest. I just went on the walkthrough to find out what the code was, and I had literally no idea how one would come to that conclusion from the following: the word "mirror"; some vaguely related symbols (only one of which was actually used in the code, and it was repeated); and an EXTRA SPACE for the letter "x."

Second, it was unbelievably predictable. Granted, this partially ties into my earlier point about the game being easy. Nonetheless, even the little "plot twists" like the screaming corpse from the lake, or the... other corpse... at the end, were just dull.

On a related note, the blurb about the past on the blueprints for the tree that grew out of the fish (yes, those of you how have not play the game yet, you did read that correctly) was just not necessary, either. It was borderline gibberish. UNLESS, of course, it was a tie-in to the game on your own site that you linked us to (or tried to). By now, I'm sure you've read many a review complaining about THAT little ploy, so I won't bother doing the same. For the record, in order to "change my fate" (whooo, spoooky), I just went and read the other reviews, and found the code. I was not impressed with the result. Then again, I should admit that I did not play "Seasons."

Phew! Now that the griping is out of the way, I should get to the positives. For one, the graphics were pretty nice. Even the minimalistic design on the corpses' faces was actually pretty cool, in my book. Added to the surrealism just the right amount. Also, the transitions from screen to screen were very smooth. I honestly have not seen that very much - then again, I don't play "room escape" games very often, as they have been beaten to death by the NG community.

Needing to reuse the magnet when not doing so for the other items was bullshit, as was the box puzzle, the attempt to push your previous game by telling people to play it for a different ending, and the breakable walls which were unclear due to the visual style of the screen jittering like an old film which made such breakable walls seem like results of the visual style rather than an actual puzzle to solve.