Reviews for "Words are Weapons"

wach
my youtube

I liked the premise of the game, but the whole idea fell through. But that's probably because I'm not a big fan of rhythm-based games in the first place. One thing that really irked me was the lack of a more expansive soundtrack to engage the player - there was only two in this game - and after a while the only reason why I continued was to get the medals. This led me to eventually divide Music 1 as the navigation's theme and Music 2 as the fighting's theme, leading me to expect these things to play every time I was about to enter one of these scenarios. When it came to the last fight, I just couldn't treat it as a final boss fight, because the same fighting music was playing just as it did for the last three fights.

I found a lot of the designs to be generic because you reused the same template for most of the characters, but even so I don't have much of a problem with that. You at least made it clear what was what. (By the way, the design was similar to RPGMaker.) Characterization was one-sided, and the lack of a defining personality to set each character apart was what truly irked me. I think this is done on purpose for a more comedic effect. The protagonist is thrust into a small quest for something insignificant when compared to the quest itself, and he must do battle against nonsensical characters who fancy "kicking ass" when others oppose them. It's easy enough to say that this has been done so many times, but that's not an answer to suffice. Really, the truth is that I couldn't get into this random quest without thinking how unfunny it all was. The game's premise didn't suit what little story this game had to offer.

Mechanics were simple enough, yet it's a pain depending on what sort of keyboard you have. Mine has all four keys - A, S, D, and F - close to one another, to the point where I accidentally mash one when I mean to mash another, or I end up mashing two instead of one. It would've been nice if there was an option to set keybindings. Thankfully I managed to get around this problem when I used both of my hands during the fights, but even then I had to be careful while trying to keep up with the tempo. (I had to repeat the last fight several times before I finally beat it with a (unbelievably) perfect score.) However, it felt more like I was cheating the system rather than being very clever about my actions whenever I did. One thing I really didn't like was how I had to wait for my opponent to start his piece before I had to skip it. Honestly, I wouldn't want to watch a character that was programmed to miss a couple of keys attempt at a better result (especially if you get a perfect score).

Overall, I don't have much to like about this game, but it's not to the point where I have a strong distaste for it. The "really fun" part was just me earning medals and seeing if I could do it on my own. That's an achievement for sure. At this point, the only reason why I would replay this game would be to find the secret medal.

Fun game, however don't make it finish like that at the end directly i din't get to find the secret room =/

great game