Reviews for "ascend"

The controls were quite responsive, the level design solid (Though I do believe I'm now sick of spike-covered moving blocks). I liked how many detours you could take throughout the level for more flowers.

The atmosphere was very well crafted and very foreboding. The sound design in particular was wonderful, with the song playing near flowers being a highlight.

The art was good quality, though the cutesy player sprite clashed considerably with the tone of the rest of the game, as did the (main) ending. I did not have much interest in the story as given by the text, as it scrolled very slowly and was excessively cryptic.

I did not see anything particularly bad about this game. A nice and short experience.

Great game. It's more difficult than it looks. I would suggest that you add a slight pause between hits. When I fall onto spikes its like whamwhamwham and i'm done. I don't have time to react and save myself.

Great platforming and level design. The music, bits of singing, and occasional exposition its really do wonders to contribute to the spooky atmosphere. I loved the flower mechanics to life, you could go out of your way to get them to see mor eand more color come back to the character, but if you did then you typically had to go back over dangerous areas, wher eyou might lose the life you got. It was clever.

I liked the two endings as well, it took me several tries to get the second, which made it satisfying when I finally did.

If I had to nitpick anything, it'd be the background and designs on the block. Once you get to the end, it really just doesn't look like they fit. Also, I would have liked to see more of the narrative to describe how the girl got to where she was. BUt these are just minor points, it's a really fun game overall.

My only real issue was that the invulnerability frames did not last long enough. I managed to collect 5 flowers at one point, and touch a single spike that stun locked me in place as it killed me because jump couldn't get me high enough before the frames were over with. You could imagine how aggravating respawning with 0 could be after that... Lol.

The other issue is that I didn't like the alternate ending due to personal taste/opinion so it's not really an issue just a preference that I want to share. After viewing the original ending you kind of expect something a bit happier as the alternate ending. Most would choose the original ending over alternate if they were in the characters shoes... xD

Besides that one issue, and one opinion I loved it. The controls were smooth. The music/scenery were very well themed although I wish there was a visible mute for the music as it's currently playing while I type this review... Lol. I'm a bit weird btw. I used Space to jump and Arrow keys to move. It felt strange to jump with X when using the arrow keys for some reason. Another personal preference I suppose.

Addictive and intriguing, lacking save system :D