Reviews for "Return to the Playhouse"

Great job, Emily! Dis tite as frig

Definitely interesting.

Wonderfully bizarre and unnerving. What really rattles my puzzler is the tremendously fine balance in the relationship between sex, death and morality. There's a bleeding edge portrayal of each which flirts with one another in a continuously engaging manner that is generally not explored so freely in other works (or at least, none that I've come across).

I'm genuinely intrigued. After watching your Patron, it seems I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon. There's a certain twisted beauty behind the thin thread that strings all of the aforementioned elements together and I can't quite put my finger on how you accomplish this magic.

I will say this much though... This definitely smacks of soul food. You are one of the very few people I believe when they claim that something they've wrought is 'from the soul'.

Cheers,
-CO

emily-youcis responds:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to analyze this and exploring the themes. It's so much better than the usual 'woah wtf that wuz weird dood lol wutf.'
I appreciate that you can recognize that this was a labor of the bleeding heart, and comparable to delicious food.
Much Gratitude for you jumpin on that Patreon bandwagon! Oh Jolly Gee, I'll see you in there!

I think you do a great job using visuals to really show how dark, depressing and gritty Alfred's mind is. It shows how he sees things and how he usually feels when he's alone at home. The voices on the television and radio and even the figures talking down to him, everyone molesting him and using him like a cum dumpster and seeing the Littles use him as a toilet or molesting him pretty much shows how much he's been abused and even abandoned for most of his life.

I think you use your visuals and even certain aspects of sound design to convey all that pretty well.

Where do I even begin? It's astounding how far you've come with animating. Each scene is almost perfectly matched to the music and the quality is so smooth and pleasing to the eye compared to your work just a few years ago.

I really loved how this installation went back to the roots of Alfred's playhouse and used more mental shock value versus the sexual shock value we've been getting from you recently. I also love how you elaborated more on Alfie's personality in this one. His figures taunting and putting him down is a clear sign that he's dealt with severe abuse still can't escape it.

I could really connect to the anguish and depression poor Alfie is in. I think that's one thing that makes these cartoons stand out; they show the darker side of an ill mind that most people aren't comfortable talking about.

This was a rad animation and I can't wait to see more from you! Please keep working hard and making awesome things.

I love the Alfred Hitchcock presents opening in this one and the rest of your work. Cheers.