Reviews for "Antumbra"

Stuff you see when you close your eyes...well, I might have nightmares every night if I saw these things every time I closed mine. Finished the game and I actually didn't think the game was too difficult, I think mostly because there was that warning to think outside the box. I died a couple of times of course, but overall it was really enjoyable for that thinking part. Plus, the horror aspect was good and not super in your face. I also really liked that hallway part of the game. It was a good blend of thinking about your surroundings and being patient while adding that scare factor without a pop-up. The sounds were done really well also. I was glad to not have heard any of the overused horror samples. I didn't get all the medals but are we able to save the kid?

Hope to see more games from you :)

DroneLocker responds:

Yeah some people this is some sort of marketing trick or something. But actually - i am being very honest here, inside my game. I do see those thing. I've always was. And to tell you the truth - i like them. I like dreaming. I rarely have nightmares because i don't consider those as a nightmares. I am a Lucid Dreams, so most of the time i am fully aware that i am dreaming, and that nothing in this realm can harm, as i am the only true God in my Land of Rust and Moss. Still i try to not control this little twisted world. I let it roll as it wants. This enables many interesting events to occure. Stuff that i would not come up with on my lucid own.
All i the audio i made by myself. Every organic sound effects is me and my microphone. And all audio too. I did had some eventual Lets Play's in mind when making the game. And i know how overzelous YouTube/Google can be with the audio. So i designed it all by myself. To ensure no one will fall into any troubles when recording. And thats also why i had not included a button that controls the SFX/Audio. I really wanted people to play with the sound. Without it - this game losses 70% of its power.
About the child - quoting our beloved, teeth collecting Grandma...
"You have no son..." :3
Thank you Crane. Thank you very much for giving me and my creation a chance. <3

Dude, this is game is causing waves! I really want to do a whole written article review, but feel it's too unfair to point out evident flaws to your "first game", and instead i am going to be praising you on what i think you have done well (and hell do i have a lot to cover). what you are doing here is revolutionary, seriously. I review tons of indie games, and am constantly being bombarded by awesome innovative and meta breaking stuff, but this, this like i said is causing waves. I spent on the excess of 6 hours playing this game. Solving the riddles, genuinely felt difficult and made me think outside the game, as if i was starring in a sort of twisted version of 'National treasure'. digging up clues and getting stuck in to something so much more bigger than me just made me feel awestruck, amazed, overwhelmed!

Aside from the best riddles I've ever solved in indie gaming history, the eerie feel to this game made it feel authentic, and i cannot praise you enough for not falling into the jump scare= Horror game 10/10 stereotype (although the first encounter with the creature can be considered a jump scare, it didn't really feel cheap) and oh my God (pun intended) did you set the creepy atmosphere, the massively melancholic, dark, taboo and blasphemous theme, made me feel sick to the stomach but in a great creepy and extremely intrigued way, like a huge fantasy, I block away but secretly crave, and that was it, from Pac-satan appearing all of a sudden to BDSM angel this sort of fed my secret desires making me feel bad but good and a whole lot more immersed.

Please, please, please do not ditch this series, make another, remaster this, carry on with the melancholic, hell twisted themes, the riddles that are immensely difficult, and the decision based layout, you have something so good in your midst right now, man i seriously would donate to helping you develop the next game ASAP. This is not a formal review of your game, but a emotion filled one.

Best wishes, Fay.

DroneLocker responds:

Oh wow. Fay. I don't know where to start. You left me speechless.
Yeah I hate jump-scares. They are sooooo overused in both movies and games. Like the thickhead designers never heard of the psychological horrors. Because the true horror is not the one that makes you jump in your chair, but the one that makes your mind disturbed, uneasy.
Like millions of tiny black spiders crawling its way into your ears when you are being paralyzed.
See what i did there? You felt that spiders, did you?
And there is not a bigger fear on this planet, then to feel hopeless. When we feel pure fear, we jump back, we escape or try to fight the danger. But when we bump something that is greater then we are. Something that makes us feel insecure, weak and fragile. Something that overpowers us on each level... This is the true fear.
I am actually thinking about something... Because, many people request me to make another game like this. But you know, the sad reality is - I am poor :( I cannot afford to work on a game for 3-4months, not being able to make some money and pay bills. So I am thinking about IndieGoGo campaign but... I really don't know where to start. I fear people will look at me as another money-grab, that tries to milk his 5minutes of fame. I don't want to be remembered like that.
But I am pretty sure Antumbra 2 would be 10 times better then 1. Not because I am so full of my self. But because in Antumbra 1 - I had maybe show 1/10 of the whole. I would just take the remaining, unused 9/10, that I couldn't include from the beginning and made a game around that. The whole story... Has not been told, yet. Fay, any advices? What should I do?
I am just little, twisted me. One person. I am not a studio. I don't have experience with this sort of things. And I really had not imagined Antumbra would explode like this. I am so unprepared. And when I know I want to continue - I don't know how.

decent game, some problems though. several of the medals in game are unlocked, but they aren't being added to the trophies on this site, like false prophet, keen eye, prideless. if you want proof, I can say when you get the trophies.

DroneLocker responds:

Nah i believe you Augumon :) In a bit i'll post an updated version of the game with proper Medal-Checker button which after being fixed should recheck you for medals, and reward you with the missing one. Sorry for the troubles :(

First time I played the game froze in the second room after locking the door, and when I refreshed the game, it doesn't go beyond the disclaimer and loops the keyboard sounds forever. I then cleared Chrome's cache, and it let me play again, but I still had the same issue. The game sadly doesn't work for me, but from what little I got to play, it was a very interesting game with awesome art.

DroneLocker responds:

YoBad, can you contact me with PM? I need your help on this one. This (bug) really should not happened. And if so - refreshing the page should have fixed the problem. If it doesn't - something must be very wrong. Sadly, whatever I do I cannot copy the bug, it just never happens to me.
So I need ya bro :( And I apology for this bug to occur.

I wish I could play this! I've tried both Chrome and Firefox-- but it always freezes at the same spots (Second screen after 'locking the door' and/or right after clicking a choice on the first screen). Sometimes the sound continues sometimes it doesn't.

I'll try again later :) I hope that this works for me in the future!

(Reviewing 5 stars because this legitimately looks like a great game- and I don't want to ruin your ratings because of a temporary bug)

DroneLocker responds:

From what people report back at me - refreshing website will fix the problem. I am still trying to figure out what is doing this. I hate bugs in games, regardless are they AAA or Indie. Specially in MY own games. This should not happend. And i am very sorry Lady :( Tell me did refreshing the page fixed the problem for you, okey? Via PM or something.
And thank you very much for your support :)