Reviews for "Decision 3"

Loved the first two and this one even more!!!!

Lol love how in the intro the bearded guy says ''great shot'' when youre standing litterally 2feet away from the zombie XD

Good game, enjoyed the city building and exploring sections. Game mechanics and combat were on par if not better than previous games. Though I was annoyed many times at how enemies could chain together knockdown effects like grenades, jumps, rockets and I had no way to run or fight back until I eventually died. And also not being able to find a specific type of person to build things, builders were always hiding from me it seemed. Other than that, great game.

Great game with some pretty obvious flaws.

Good stuff:
1.) Lots of hidden stuff, weapons and such.
2.) Different ways to progress.
3.) Many types of nemies.
4.) Hard.

Not so perfect:
1.) Narrative is scarse and uninteresting. Too little story-points and information. (The could be some dialogue or notes, diary-pages etc to collect...)
2.) Too many enemies with insane amount of healt. Battle goes on-and-on.
3.) Micromanagement. If the earlier levels are fortified, where are the hordes coming from? It's boring to go back to the easy stages just to clean them up regularly. Why is there no-one else to shoot down the zombies with a minigun? Why should the hero bother? And yes, I have bought the recruites and updates, but the factories build up the tension.

great game

Excellent game, and a worthy successor to the previous ones. It's easier to view the Decision series as a series of upgrades to a tried and true formula, and that's just fine. The new mechanics introduced in each game add just enough to make the boredom you feel towards the end of the previous game disappear, and altogether add a feeling of originality. The innovative nature of some of this series mechanics (I think the survivor recruitment and camp management is one of the best things so far) make for a few diverse play styles and manage to add an unclassifiable quality to the game.

That being said, the reused assets are kind of a pain - the world map is the same as Decision: Medieval. Even then, I can understand the need, it seems really painful to remap everything every game, and the new mechanics are enough to make it fresh.

The difficulty curve would be better if it ramped up a bit earlier - the early game is almost laughably easy, but in the late game the importance of upgrades and proper strategy can catch you off guard. On that point, this game is one of the few where the starter weapon is actually useful for more than two seconds, in this and Decision: Medieval I procrastinated on some of the other weapons purely because my knife or pistol could literally slaughter hordes of zombies.

On weapons, upgrades and money: the upgrades are decent, but the difficulty curve is so slow but steep that everything except for the zombie-radar thing and hacking are absolutely useless until the last three sectors. The price curve on the early active defensive upgrades is unbalanced, because the early game "defend the outpost" missions only send five or six zombies at you. (I once counted, it took thirty seconds for a single low level zombie to spawn.) And the training missions for soldiers to defend sectors are exorbitantly expensive for an upgrade that is basically the only thing allowing mines to continue without accruing too much threat.

The threat system is a little off balance too - zombies in the early game are such a little threat that the "Threat level" meter doesn't actually mean anything. Then there are the horde invasions, all of which just end up being tedious after a time. That, and the threat level doesn't effect them - I know that technically the zombies are supposed to come from the next sector, but why is my sector being attacked when the threat level in all of the adjacent sectors is zero. It also breaks the balance of game-play and money management - I can't tell you how many times I've gone to pick up a few soldiers from the camp only to find that a derp (technical term) of zombies is waiting patiently outside my outpost to be slaughtered.

As for suggestions for the future? I would make the weapon upgrades more incremental, with more expensive upgrades but more definitive damage steps. Zombies should have more health and damage in the beginning, but in turn give a bit more money. Resources should be used more in general. And as for the outpost defending segments, I would either remove them all together or find a way to make it depend less on the player - personally, I would make it either more tower-defense like, with less interactivity and more upgrades, or I would just find a way to throw the player in there, because as the outpost defense currently is, it's a very big weak point in the game.