Reviews for "Kram Keep"

I like these types of games. They are fun. The graphics are good, and the music is excellent. The controls... are okay, but they are sluggish. A good example is when you try not to get to close to a wall to perform a double jump then a wall jump off of it. If you're too close that wall you often do a wall jump when trying to preform a double jump. Other than that the controls are adequate. Also, the right most section of the castle is a bit difficult, with all the wall jumping and spikes. I don't think the spike on top of the first platform is necessary, it's incredibly hard to avoid taking damage from it.

The graphics were charming. They were only as complex as they needed to be; I have always liked that. I was rather fond of the little stars that show up when you make your hero bonk his head on something and the snow falling in the background sky. Those were nice touches. You captured the style and essence the metroidvania games and kept it simple and clean. Not an easy task.

The music was stellar, both the intro music and the main song, both of which I could see making appearances in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Kudos!

The game-play itself was good, but the underground section was brutal. The difficulty ramped up unexpectedly and the jumping sequences underground quickly went from interesting, to challenging, to aggravating, to near rage inducing. I would not have minded as much if I were playing on hard or death difficulty; those are supposed to be hard, but I was playing on normal.

I appreciate the simple straightforward control scheme, but It might have been worthwhile to add in a note or something that the wall jump lets you slide down walls too.

In summation: The portion I got through was excellent. I am guessing most of the rest is likewise as good, but the underground section was too unforgiving, and proved insurmountable. Notwithstanding the previous sentence, I felt this was a very well done game, doubly so given the limitations of Ludum Dare. I would love to see more of your work in the future. Kudos!

The linage of the metroidvainia is there for sure, but the enemies were not the thing I fought the most-
it was the keyboard. This game NEEDS a control pad to play.The keyboard feels clunky and ill suited to the fine control that is needed, especially for a game that uses wall jumping from such a wide angle. Your wall jump mechanic is fine, but what is missing is a "latch" frame that can be reflexively used as a cue to continue the jump chain. You move straight to slide, and that screws with the timing of the player reaction. Not a deal breaker on a controller, but like I said "Keyboard." I tried many different schemes and a few came close, but nothing felt intuitive or "right." no matter what I tried it felt awkward and cramped-up, as the game wanted to break free and flow, but the control format just held it back time and time again. I'm not sure if you included the option for joypad input, but it would map to my mouse, so I assume not. Add this and the game will shine for the stellar work it really is.

Nice graphic, lame controls, lame puzzles

Not bad at all! Looks nice and clean.