Reviews for "Snowman Slide"

okay game got really irritating beat it but my medals didnt go through

Zanzlanz responds:

If you beat the game, just come back and replay level 1; You'll get all your Newgrounds medals.
It doesn't seem to happen often, but you probably never got connected to the Newgrounds API.

I got em all! :D Didn't think I ever would since last time it seemed like an impossible task, reached a dead end with one of the latter levels and there it stopped... but all of a sudden I can SEE the patterns, I can find the paths even before I navigate them, I can avoid the treacherous loops and water pools with just a little forethought!! Or maybe I just got an easier set of levels, who knows. I assume the levels aren't actually random btw, but selected randomly from a set? If they really are random it'd be an incredible AI! Great game.

-cd-

Zanzlanz responds:

Haha no they are completely randomly generated :) They're always different each time anyone plays. It generates later levels while you play so you never see a loading screen. <3

But hey man, amazing job beating the game! You rock! And yes, eventually you start being able to visualize all the routes and it almost becomes a strategic endeavor! :D

Your randomly generated levels work great both in theory and practice, which doesn't happen too often. I really enjoyed the game, even though the general idea is very old and simple.

My advice for the mobile sequel is to (unless you're planning to expand and introduce it to the gameplay more) get rid of the story. It's silly in a bad way and unnecessary (at the very least).

Zanzlanz responds:

Thanks! If the generator wasn't working how I'd want it too, I wouldn't have even continued through Ludum Dare :) It just wouldn't be worth it.

And yeah the sequel won't be anything like this x)

There's a bug where (sometimes? somehow?) the coin total from the previous level can get added to that of the next level. For example, my first time through I got all of the coins on each of the first four levels without retrying and as a result my coin totals for those levels are now stuck at 3/3, 6/3, 10/4, and 14/4 respectively. I didn't notice this until I got to the end of the game and it told me I hadn't gotten the "all coins" achievement even though I definitely got all of the coins, and now I'll have to wipe my data and play the whole thing over in order to have a chance because it's impossible to overwrite just those erroneously-high values. This is one of those situations where it's better to use "greater then or equals" and/or "less than or equals" when checking for achievements (what if someone was able to find a way to complete one of the randomly-generated levels in less moves than the algorithm predicted possible?).

Anyway, I don't care about achievements or endings, so I still give this five stars, 'cause everything else is great (the only other complaint I can think of is that there's some weird slowdown in parts, but that doesn't affect much).

Zanzlanz responds:

No one has mentioned the coin issue before, but I went through the code hoping to find a reason for it to happen. Didn't really come to a conclusion... but I did reinforce coin resetting, and updated the game with a code that lowers your coin values for you :) You just have to beat one level and the medals should update.

Greater/Less Than or Equals would fix the results of the actual error, which is why it's good not to use it in cases like score. The generator will always be accurate when showing the moves, since the number of moves is exactly how it's generated :D

Thanks for your feedback and help! Again I hope the bug is fixed for you.

Found this really great, was the perfect level of challenge for me to get all the achievements, could maybe be improved with more of a storyline, but I thought the unicorn thing was amusing enough for now!

Whoo! Excellent job completing it :D
Haha it's the best story I could make in a night x) I needed a good enough reason for the snowman's passion xD