Reviews for "Dragon Heritage: Demo"

Jake the usa dragon... aye.

Ok,

first of all: havent you got a better picture of the dragon for the loading screen and the menu? I mean its the first imoresion you get from the game and than its a pixelated picture.

But to the game itself: controlls and movment are fine. There was no voice, so I would have to read the text while fighting enemies, whats pretty anoying...
And every game should have a "mute" button (sry but the musik really sucks ).

Can become a nice game, if some improvements will be done.

Ps: medal works

So I'll begin with the list of feedback topics specifically requested.

In terms of playability, the projectiles move very fast and are small and not very visible. The game ended up being spam vs. spam, and it was kind of more luck than skill that kept you from just catching a cluster of them and being dead.

The controls feel fine. Very basic, responsive. I don't feel like I'm "flying" as much as scrolling, to be honest. There's no acceleration or easing, and the dragon does not change animation or point upward or downward in any way when you go upward or downward.

The art and animation need work. Yes, it's hard to draw and animate a good dragon, and credit where it's due, your wings are animated nicely. Unfortunately, the dragon itself wobbles all around within the movie clip, just making it look like it's shaking the entire time and throwing off the smooth feel of the flight.

The portrait art, by comparison, is bizarrely bad-looking, and the character conveys a very unpleasant personality (no doubt not helped by the obnoxious ironic-memeish way of speaking).

The text speed seemed fine for my reading ability, though I think you'd be better served by having it be advanced by the player, rather than the player having to keep up with the text. There's some relatively simple AS that can accomplish this.

If my microphone were still functional, I might volunteer for voice acting. If there is voice acting in this that I'm supposed to critique, I can't hear it.

I think to make a game that people will really enjoy you're going to need a lot more to it than sidescroll press space dodge projectile.

Poor effort in my opinion. The "game play" is fine, but the shots coming in from off screen is really unfair, the red of the cat shots is hard to see and moves too fast to move out of the way of, and the dialogue is really REALLY bad. I hope there will be big improvements before releasing a full game.

Still at the demo/alpha stage - not really a teaser as there feels like there is a lot of work to go.

Playablity: it is playable, but boring - hold down fire, fly up and down the screen, avoid the nekobots bullets - zzzzzzz. Lots wrong with the gameplay: nekobots should only start firing when fully on-screen; nekobots should only be destroyable when fully on-screen; nekobots should come in waves / fly in patterns - the waves can look disorganised - but they should always be the same - randomly generated waves should be reserved for small segments (like a bonus level, or the swarm); the nekobot swarm should have too many nekobots for you to kill them all - i.e. you can only blast a path though them, but anything else is suicide.

How the controls feel: the dragon lacks any weight - you push an arrow, the dragons moves in that direction without hinderance. Ideally the dragon should take a moment to reach peak velocity in any direction, and should take a moment to come to rest (i.e. drifts a little in the direction it was last travelling). Really it feels like I'm sliding the dragon around the screen, never letting go, as opposed to flying him.

Text speed: It is too hard to read the text and avoid bullets. I.e. the player shouldn't need to read text while playing the game. (Yes, you really, really need a voice actor).

Dialogue: It's too cheesy for the self-referential nature to be funny, and it lacks any air of authority for any of the dialogue to be taken seriously. Good voice acting won't fix this - better writing is needed first.

Story: Hard to take a story seriously if you're trying so hard to be funny. After reading the script, it is hard to be interested in the story because lots of tidbits of information are revealed, but nothing is given away, i.e. the only story we get is: young dragon meets older dragon, older dragon is gonna kill younger dragon at a later date. First goal should have been to get the player invested in the fate of the younger dragon.

Graphics: The simply drawn sprites on a photographic quality background has not really worked here. The background is lovely - maybe improve/alter the sprites?

Music: It's OK, but it gets old after a while. Hard to tell if it matches the style of the game (since there is so little game).

Sounds: RAWR!!

Consistency: Is the dragon flying? Looks like it. But the nekobots look like they are running... need to draw little jetpacks on their backs, or flames coming out their behinds, or give them wings.

Overall: Currently feels like a side scrolling shooter - an over-crowded genre: you will find it hard to do anything that hasn't been done before. Because of this, everything needs to be done better (plenty of great examples out there). Feels like the story wants to be the main driving force for this game - so the dialogue needs an upgrade to make the story work. Or maybe you've got some fantastic idea for your game tucked up your sleeves?!? Here's hoping.