Reviews for "Alex"

While I do agree with m6wg4bxw's review, I will, for now, put aside all the ALS thing, and just focus on the gamey aspects.

Visually it's really appealing, and what is more important to me in pixel-artsy games, it really IS pixel art, without any scaling elements that clearly are not in the same resolution as the reast of the game.
Sound is standard, nothing extraordinary, simply fitting the theme.
Controls are a bit too... responsive? There could be some short delay after landing, so it would be not possible to jump immidiately again. That is my only. very minor complain, and it have almost no impact on the gameplay.

Now the ALS... While the story is ok, the ridiculous pacing is killing it. Some random dude pops out and tell us we have ALS, then we go out for some milk, and the ALS kicks in so hard, that after 5-10 minutes, we can barely stand... I understand that maybe you had not that much time to make this game, or you just didn't wanted to make it longer, but the message would be so much better with, for exaple, every level taking away one of player's abilities, not almost each screen.

Still, strong 4 stars for the quality.

Hey so the game's pretty solid and the message is cool.

The one thing that bothered me though, and the only reason I'm writing this review, is that the whole story is directly told to the player, when I could have just as easily "felt" it through the increasing restrictions on the controls. I feel like the gameplay was too restricted to the story (understandably so, as it was designed to create a sense of empathy for ALS patients), but there are probably more game-design-specific ways you could have done the same thing.

If I had designed this game, I would have probably made the gameplay a little less linear. Instead of having one track the player follows, which magically adapts to the player's inabilities, I would have made one short level that the player has to traverse over and over, maybe getting another carton of milk every week. Each time, it would be a little bit harder to jump around, forcing the player to find new ways to cross the terrain each time. By the end, crossing the one level would be really difficult and time-consuming. I don't know much about ALS, but I feel like that would be a better comparison.

In the end, empathy is an emotion games can create better than any other medium, and I guess that's why I felt it so unnecessary to see text on the screen telling me what was going on. It really shouldn't bother me, and I guess it doesn't really detract from the gameplay, but it does kinda seem like you're using the text as a crutch to tell the story, when the game is perfectly capable of doing that on its own.

its a great game but so short that it shouldn't get 5 stars but still very fun

It's a great game in giving "a slight insight in the disease ALS".
Even if it's a tad short, the concept is great and simple. The artwork is cute and charming.
I'd say if someone opened the game, they'd eventually play through it, making it an effective way of raising awareness.

I think that the difficulty accurately gives "insight" to ALS, but I'm not sure that pixelated hamsters who make little farting noises when they talk is the best way to do it.

My grandmother, who had Parkinson's (another degenerative nervous system disease), experienced severely slurred speech. I understand ALS does the same thing, so I'm not sure him having a conversation moments before collapsing is the best way to depict it. Also, it all happened in the span of a trip to the grocery store, dafuq?

I do have to give you major props for making it map playable relative to your current condition status. This has excellent game design, and the insight it does offer is how it "feels" to progressively lose physical abilities.

Anyway, the game was pretty good game wise, and I'm sure it will raise a lot of awareness. That's how you cure diseases. When enough people are aware of them, they become cured. That's why cancer and AIDS are gone now.

:D