Reviews for "DungeonUp"

Its a fun game, I wish I could go through the entire game, but I rarely buy games, and while I want to beat it, it isn't enough to make me want to pay $10. Anyways, It was a fun time-passer. I honestly do not know what the game means when it says to not fight him directly, however I managed to win fighting him directly. So yea, good game.

I think a lot of games try and fail to recapture the old school nintendo feel of (my) youth. This game succeeds in a big way. The gameplay is a testament to the fact that complexity is not the key to fun. This game reminds me a little bit of Hylide, Adventures of Lolo, or maybe even Montazuma's Revenge (i'm really showing my decrepit age here.) Anyway, this isn't a review so much as an opportunity to thank the author profusely for providing us with free and enjoyable entertainment. Thank you!

The game in itself is pretty good. A bit too much waiting around (I know you don't want the yellow keys being too easy in Easy mode but it's still dull) but I was vaguely interested in the plot and enjoying getting myself strong enough to go back and kill lesser enemies without fear of damage just to get the gold.

However, you lose a star from me for not allowing a whole run-through before springing the "PAY TO CONTINUE!" thing on us, plus the medals didn't work for me.

The game is good, but the Magic Tower Series is much better and tottaly free.
Would rate higher if this was not a Demo.

Okay, I have been patient and waited for the updated version of the game. And yet even when I complete a task that should unlock a medal; it STILL DOESN'T UNLOCK!

That is not my only gripe. Now I know rougelike adventures are supposed to be extremely random and tough, but sometimes I think they make them too tough. I am thankful that in casual you potentially have unlimited yellow keys, but getting those hard to find blue and red ones can be tricky. Also a lot of the monsters, even if you have good stats can still be difficult to kill as they take out tons of damage from you or still have the infinite stat on them.

Soulstones are good if you desperately need to buy special items; I just wish that said items can be obtained more frequently because of unbeatable enemies. If you are extremely patient, you can kill the boss, restart the game, and then beat the boss all over again to farm the soulstones, but that just seems a tad tedious.

Enough of the downsides, here are in my opinion the good. Replayability with randomization means you don't go through the same dungeon over and over again. The use of said items like bombs and pickaxes are extremely useful when either killing monsters or going around them. Though the greedy well can be expensive after a few uses, it is helpful when needed especially adding on health. I am also thankful that you don't have to kill every single monster or open every door to go to the next floor. And the ability to go back to certain floors helps when you don't have the skills necessary to get past the monsters; so you can come back and get them later. Finally, at least with me, some of the randomness does include short passages from one flight of stairs to the next with few uses of keys and minimal encounter of monsters.

Now I do like this game, but the flaws can make it frustrating. And as I said before, medals are still not working. If you can fix this issue; and maybe make it so the game isn't all that difficult monster wise, it will be far more fun to play.

indiest responds:

I'm still desperately fighting with the medals issue, as you can follow the progress here: