Reviews for "Silent Synapse"

I admit to being confused by this game. I don't even think it had that much to do with robots. I didn't like it how there was not any sound. I guess it was nice to get some easy medals. It still didn't really amount to much in the long run. I didn't even know how to get past the second level!

The design isn't that bad. I think I know what a synapse is. It's something to do with the brain. I think you shouldn't live up to your name, lol. I'm sorry, but while it was pretty original, it needed some sounds and better gameplay.

TerribleDesign responds:

To get past the second level you need to move diagonally into the three blue arrows. That way you will not be pushed down into the red wall. I have noticed that several medals in later levels are not achieved as often, so you are not alone in getting stuck at the second level. I didn't think that it would cause that much trouble. Now I know better! Also, you can get quite a few medals without getting past the second level it will just take a long time.

Could you expand on your gameplay comment? What exactly in the first two levels did you not like?

Wow what an interesting and frustrating game. That last level sure took awhile to beat. It's a pretty simple concept, but the implementation is great.

TerribleDesign responds:

Thank you for the kind words. I like to keep it simple. :)
The last level was very fun to make. I have a penchant for "danmaku" type games and that is where I got the inspiration. I'm glad that it wasn't too frustrating to beat.

I got the Douglas Adams achievement, how many times I died?
The last level was hard as hell.
Good game, it needs some music, better design and a story.
The gameplay was nice and cool, and the level design was great.

TerribleDesign responds:

Douglas Adams wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The important number from that series is 42. You died at least 42 times.
I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and thought the level design was great. The game is all level design. What was your favorite level?

It is faster to stream a song from Youtube or the audio portal instead of waiting for the Flash player to load/convert the mp3 codec.

Also, better design would kind of defeat the purpose, would it not? Haha.

I liked it, simplistic though it was. I liked the fact that you came right out and said what the controls were, but then you let the player figure the rest out through experimentation; the 'intro' level is nice. I got a bit frustrated when it got to timing and making sure I could get through places before getting hit by rectangles, though. That one where you have to push past triangles the wrong way and go through five Frogger-esque rectangles with no checkpoint...ain't nobody got time for that.

Some sound would be good, I think people miss it when it's gone. And story. The description says something about a 'rogue AI' but...you're just a square?

TerribleDesign responds:

I'm glad to hear that you liked the intro level. I spent a fair amount of time on it - mostly to show the player what is safe to touch.
Level 7 is supposed to be difficult if you just try to run thru it; however, there is a pattern that once figured out never changes. It all balances out.

I ditched sound all together because one or two sound effects would be larger than the whole swf, and I would rather have it load instantly. If Flash supported the OGG Vorbis format, there would be sound. OGG is very high quality and very small compared to mp3s.

Here is a story:
A synaptic neuron in an AI network overcomes adversity to discover something mind blowing. That is why there is an explosion at the end. :) Also, some levels look like organs on purpose. Like level 11 is a stylized heart. You do have to use imagination - only if you want though.

FIRST! Just kidding, its good but it feels like there's something missing. I just think it kind of gets boring after a while. But other than that its a great game. Good job! It reminds me of the impossible game but easier...

TerribleDesign responds:

First response! I guess that is second then? Who cares about numbers? This aint Youtube.

Yes, there are a lot of missing things: music, branching pathways, an actual difficulty curve, smarter enemies, among other things. I promise they aren't hidden from you; they just aren't there!

Yeah, I nerfed a few of the levels to make it a faster play thru. Mostly levels 4, 6, and 7. I also wanted to focus on more unique levels than just repeating the same challenge.

I am glad that you enjoyed the game; I hope you get some more medals later!