Reviews for "Cycle; Fourth Moon"

It's definitely a cute little timewaster. It's a little short though... There are a few things I think you could do to add to it. First, maybe make it so interiors only are in top-down mode? Then add more furniture and posters so you can decorate your house. And maybe even interact with your objects, usefully or not, like show your character hopping around and play music if they hit space by the stereo, or relax on the couch to pass an hour or two.

Second, you should make everything but the inventory keyboard only... Maybe it's just me but I don't like having to switch to my mouse to click one button every time I talk to someone.

Thirdly, animals. Add in a pet shop that sells little dogs, cats, foxes, birds that'll fly around, etc etc. Press space to make them follow you and space to resume wandering, and put them inside your house if you want, or take them out again. If I see a puppy running around in a space helmet I will die of a cuteness overdose. xD

Maybe the option to visit other planets? A farming planet would be cool. Or maybe make that your own little world that you can decorate with flowers, outside objects (maybe have the scientist sell you these after you give him a certain amount of ore? including useful things like barns and house upgrades, or aesthetic upgrades like gazebos and waterfalls), animals, etc. You can have a bunch of farm animals, which you have to buy food for in the winter (and yes, add seasons and holidays!) or let out to graze, and you have to put them back in the barn at night or else intergalactic space foxes will eat them. xD

Idea for fishing and farming: You have your own pond which you can breed fish in, and check the population. Give an option to throw the fish back if you catch one you don't want. Then, you can either buy fish from the fisherman or catch some of the rarer ones in the town lake. And make trees take a few days or a whole season to grow, and include all the fruits.

More villager interactions? It's been said. But I'd like you be able to talk to the villagers and make friends with or even marry them, and have little armless babies. xD And maybe each villager could have their own planet too, with their own decorations and little animals running around. You could do quests for them to increase their friendship level and get prizes like animals, seeds, saplings, objects, etc.

And the mortgage... well yeah, it's useless. Except for the badge (and I didn't get any token o.o). Maybe add interest if you don't pay off at least 5 dollars each day? And if it reaches a certain amount, scary tax collectors will come and take some of your furniture, animals, etc.

A lot of these make it sound like Harvest Moon, but I think your idea is pretty unique, with the perspective and all. And they're just suggestions. This is just what I personally would like to see, but you should make your game for you. xD

Oh yeah, finally a few glitches: Ores will appear twice a day (once at 12 AM and once at 5 AM) only if I sleep. Otherwise I'll just get the 12 AM ore. And not sure if this is available from the start or after you buy flowers, but once your flower counter hits zero, you can still plant one more flower and have -1 flowers. Finally pause menu doesn't pause? Right now there's not much point to making it pause, but if there's a point in the future where you might need to pay attention to the time of day (like what I mentioned before with putting farm animals back inside before night) then you should fix it. :P

Anyway sorry for the overly long review, I just have a lot of ideas. xD I hope to see an update or maybe a more detailed sequel or something. Whatever you do with it I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. xD

JackAstral responds:

Wow- thank you so much for the detailed review. Those are some really great ideas + suggestions! Especially fish breeding- I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks again!

Ughm, after I open a shop (flowers) or look into my wardrobe, I dont know how to close the flower\wardrobe\etc window, makes my game un-playeable ....

JackAstral responds:

Click the Arrow button next to the window you want to close

feels like a blurry mishmash demo that got some serious buckling down put it into it...not a...4th game.

JackAstral responds:

Ahaha fair call. Thanks for giving it a go anyway :)

game starts. i move a little over to the right.

i hit space bar and it opens up the letter box.

game over.

lol. how did you not see a bug like that in playtesting?

absolutely unbelievable. 0/5 across the board.

JackAstral responds:

What do you mean? Just click the (>) button to close it.

It is a fun enough game for a while, but somehow it remembers me of animalcrossing in A BAD WAY. It reminds me of aaaall the day skipping to get outfits/furniture.
Also there's nothing really to do in this game once you've paid the mortgage. So I wanted to get all medals and it means getting up- gathering the ore - looking for shirts and then waiting loooooong til I can sleep again. It's sort of annoying...
Ideas to improve this:
- get MORE longtime goals, like when you keep supplying the scientist he builds some stuff in town.
- implement some actual interactions with the neighbours
- balance out the money gathering. With ~10 trees you can make money a tad too fast. Also there was no point whatsoever in planting the sapplings D:
(Also pls explain the right/middle/left spot in your home at some point, it was a tad confusing, I thought middle might be next to the door and right where the bed is...)

Why I still rated this so highly is because it IS a cute game indeed. I liked that the fishing wasn't that hard, the flower decorations were nice and I can't complain about the graphics or the music. Sure it's not a super special awesome game, but it was definitely worth the first 2/3s of time I put into it.

JackAstral responds:

Ahaha fair points :v Thanks for the criticisms and review. I definitely think adding more longtime goals would improve the game quite a bit. Thanks again, and have a great weekend!