Reviews for "JUGGERNAUT II: Uprising"

Really nice to see a larger scope RPG on Newgrounds like this. The art is really nice, and the music fits the atmosphere really well. Lots of items and NPCs to talk to too, and subquests are a nice touch. While the programming works fine and there don't appear to be any bugs, unfortunately the gameplay is just a bit dull to me.

The random battles really slow down the pace, and don't seem to consist of much more than clicking attack until stuff dies (The skills don't seem to be particularly useful). Maybe some sort of auto-battle function that just automatically attacks whatever is at the top would speed things along a bit. I know a good RPG is very hard to make, so it might just be the nature of the project. Congrats on what you were able to accomplish with such a small team!

As a side note, I sometimes found it difficult to get through narrow passages (such as the bridge in the first town) and doors. Maybe increase the walkable area by a bit?

TheEnkian responds:

Woo! First review is positive! Thanks for checking out the game.

The skills get more useful as the game goes on and boss battles are a good bit trickier without them. Some characters get ones that hit all enemies at once, heal, inflict status effects, etc. The attack is intentionally not all that weak just because it drives me nuts when RPGs make you rely almost solely on your MP for the entire game.

Yeah, I totally get the narrow entrances thing. That's the entire reason we intentionally slowed the character down for doors :P It may not have been quite enough it seems.

Anyway, glad you ultimately liked it. Thanks again for playing!

Gameplay is fun, a little overkill on the fights. I fight a monster every 3-4 steps. Also why does my HP not refill on level ups? Thats pretty standard across RPG's

TheEnkian responds:

Glad you liked it! Eh, I honestly never really thought about doing that seeing as fights can be ran away from with 100% success.

Walked into one of the houses in Kanneah and the game froze. The screen was mostly just white, with a few sprites showing like the main character and the bookshelf and door of the interior of the house. I could open the menu and go to title screen, but couldn't move or find a way to workaround the freeze. Had to reload the page in order to access the Load feature of the title menu (it was still grayed-out even though I had saved many times previously), and when I did finally reload the saved game, I realized I hadn't saved in a while. Not worth retracing my steps. Argh. Up until that point it was fun enough to keep going, but not after such a hefty crash like that.

TheEnkian responds:

I've not heard about this bug before, very sorry that it ruined the experience for you. Hopefully we can fix it.

Hey, so I just finished your game, and after reading some other comments, I thought I'd let you know about a couple of bugs. You seem to want to know about these, so please understand I'm not stating these as insult, just trying to be helpful. For some reason, in that first forest level between the isolated houses on the right path, my character started to constantly walk to the right. I could over-ride it by pressing left, but it wouldn't stop once I let go. That cleared up once I left the map, area, forest, whatever. Accessing the menu did not help however. Also, in the final castle before Valkyrie, after a random battle the background music on the map shortened and skip-repeated to only about 4 notes. That cleared up after another random battle. Hope this is helpful, good luck with your future endeavors.

TheEnkian responds:

Nah, don't worry, it's not taken as an insult. I appreciate you letting me know about the bugs. Other than the couple of bugs, I hope you enjoyed the game :)

Hmmm....Though not very far into the game, I would have to say the one thing I still don't get is the elements. Is there a reason for them? It's clearly pointed out with every enemy. Furthermore, your character's element is in the status screen, which obviously tells you what element their attacks are. Mind you I haven't gone very far in the game, but still fought enemies with: Void, Shadow, Wind, Earth, and Fire elements. And with every one of them my elemental attacks didn't seem to make a difference in damage. In fact the physical attack always ended up being stronger.

I guess the real question is; Do they matter? There was no indication as to whether or not an enemy was resistant to an element I hit it with. The elements I have being Void, Shadow and Earth. Maybe the enemies did resist, or maybe I was actually dealing normal damage. I can't tell.

It would be nice if the game had a small info page or something to shed some light on the use of elemental attacks.

TheEnkian responds:

Yeah, the explanation for that was lax to say the least so I'll try and summarise it or you here. The elemental sphere attacks have a chance of inflicting a status effect on enemies (death in the case of void), otherwise the spheres are weak. Fire does extra damage to Air, Air to Earth, Earth to Water and Water to Fire. Light an Shadow do extra damage to each other and Void does extra damage to Void. There aren't any resistances so don't worry about hitting water enemies with fire attacks and so on.