Reviews for "Majestic They Are"

Bro.

BRO.

You have gotten a LOT better over the years. GREAT PIECE. :D

THENKS MANG

U da best

I'm not one to judge a cinematic piece, but this is so good that I can't not leave a comment.

It's great to come across an orchestral piece like this one since most of the high-tier tracks in Newgrounds' classical community (as far as I can see, anyway) consists of tracks which are either really really dark or really really light. I have a hard time finding things like this, which are kind of in-between.

And it's sad that so many people look down on classical music, because they're missing out on things like this.

But regardless this is amazing! I really really like the bit from 02:32 to 03:00, that sounds awesome! Keep up the good work, and good luck in NGADM!

1f1n1ty

papkee responds:

That part of the song was actually one of the original ideas I had for it and I'm glad it worked out so well. I was worried the horns and the choir would muddle each other but they really played rather nicely together.

Thanks for the nice complements!

Wow! This will not be an easy song to go up against. And there are 2 more competitors as well o.O

The intro is wonderful. A very pleasant sound.
The composition overall is very beautiful. Nothing to complain about there at all, imo. It's consistent, but brings forth new things, and is beautiful all the way through.

I think that the percussion at 0:41 was perhaps a bit sudden. But that's an extreme nitpick. What bothers me more is the way it sounds a bit mechanic, in terms of note velocity. It sounds to me like every second or so it repeats the exact same velocities. But maybe that's not the case. It may just be the way they're mixed. They keep on doing the same thing for a pretty long time either way. But it is good advice, not to take too much mixing advice from me, as I'm horrible at it myself, so I'll leave it at that, hahha :D
The other percussion is fine though, and ads much in the right places.
I am a huge fan of the instrumentation in general. The strings are very soft and nice. The piano melody is smooth and beautiful, with a lot of reverb, in a way that I like. The flute (if that is what it is), ir good too.

The choirs of course -while they don't sound realistic- sound good.

The climax at 3:05 is wonderful. The percussion gets a major change too (well, until our old friend gets back at 3:33), which is nice. If I had to mention something, it is that I think there's not enough dynamic volume change between the part that came earlier and the climax. But that can be pretty difficult to mix with so much going on (I couldn't do it well, for example). The percussion might need a bit more bass power, but I'm not sure about that (really nice touch with the drum solo before the climax). I think that is a horn playing during the climax too. It fits in nicely with all the rest.

The bells (church bells) are just the right intrument for this track. The choir that comes in late in the piece is amazing.

The way the end hints at the beginning adds a lot to the finish (Love that deep bass drum).

Overall, I think you've made a wonderful track, and I certainly think you have a chance of making it to the next round! But for personal reasons, I kinda hope you don't, hehhe. We have a pretty cool track coming your way too ;)

Remember to take my review with a grain of salt. I would wait and see what the more professional reviewers say, hahha :D

Good luck :3

papkee responds:

The only one who's really good at mixing here is Skye, so don't blame yourself. It's fucking hard.

The sudden hit of the bass and the orchestra was intentional. I wanted to go from light and airy to grounded and moving really quick.

Interestingly, that's a recorded hi-hat that I was banging away at. Of course, it's looped a bunch of times, but it's at least real.

Choirs are some of the hardest samples to get to sound natural. It mostly comes down to notation and programming, neither of which I'm really good at.

I'll take your review with a grain of salt and a side of sliced carrots with a caesar salad.