Reviews for "Priorities"

It was a good story, good music etc but i felt there were some issues. The animation made it feel like a computer game, it was slightly clunky and didn't feel quite right, the camera motion wasn't fluid and the effect on the film, wasn't to my taste, i just felt it was a bit too hazy to be the effect on the whole film. Also the man and dog looked a bit under designed and lifeless, which was a shame because the scenery was done well.
I'm only saying this because it was a a very good story with very good potential and i mean everything in a constructive way, overall it was a good use of almost ten minutes for me.

Am I allowed to dislike this? There are a handful of things I didn't like about this animation so I'm just going to shout them out in no particular order. First is the general quality of the characters and environment. I know what Maya is capable of, this comes nowhere close. The characters lack texture and I didn't see much going on with lighting and shadows either. The animation is also somewhat awkward - both the way the guy and his dog run are primitive and not particularly realistic. Since this isn't a very action-packed animation, simple loops like running make up a big part of how polished the animation is going to look, and you really have no excuse not to have spent more time perfecting those.

One thing that you do did really well was create a mood to the environment; the textures and polygon count were simple, but there was a lot of fog in the distance and overall the magnitude of the location helped set the atmosphere a lot. You also found a really good musician to help augment the animation.

Touching on the story, I've never been a fan of these kinds of things, and that may be why I'm not too attached to the story here. It seems rather one-sided and incomplete as a narrative, and I'm not just saying that because it lacks dialogue. You establish that this guy is stuck, that the dog is bothering him, and that he eventually comes to a decision that his dog is more important than escaping. Then he... Wastes all of his flairs? First of all, a dog isn't going to understand what that gesture is supposed to communicate, but more importantly, does this guy not have a family or a job or a LIFE back where he lives? And even if he doesn't, does he realize that he's going to outlive his dog by several decades?

It's impressive that you managed to craft an animation like this, especially given that it's nearly ten minutes in length, but it feels like it's missing something, and I think that the simple storytelling is a way to mask that it's missing something.

The style shows promise, but the story in itself wasn't that impressive, the animation was stiff, almost as if the characters were floating as they moved, and the water was unconvincing.

The colors, lighting and atmosphere were pretty great, though, and I hope he'll learn to correct his mistakes. With this visual style, a better animation would be great.

Excellent camera work. And I really felt for the dog nice job.

I don't want to be seen as a hater, but I didn't find this to be "emotional" or even a "good" animation. He only conflicted the dog for like 15 seconds about the axe thingy. Also, the rain was too loud and it felt a bit crowded.