Reviews for "Priorities"

this was really well made. of course, I had to skip over like half of it because my minuscule attention span couldn't cope with the lack of tits and explosions.

Let me start by saying the design, cinematogropy, effects, and compositing of this film is really something to behold! At almost any given moment a simple screen shot from this film would have high aesthetic value, I feel the overall design is that good! The french style camera shake really set the tone of this film and did a lot of justice as far as how the story impacts the viewers emotionally. I really like some of the ambitious things you did with the camera views. As I watched the gorgeous effects and compositing unfold I could really tell the creator of this film has really high technical abilities in regards to digital animation and design. The audio was also a treat! In general, the things that are good about this film are REALLY GOOD. There is only a couple major things about this film that managed to turn me off and not grant you that 5th star.

In complete contrast to everything else about this film, the character animation was terrible. I could tell whoever did the character animation has no foundation with animation principles of any sort. It was super stiff, mechanical, and the acting was horrible. For me to grant even 4 stars with character animation this terrible should be a clear indicator of how redeeming EVERYTHING ELSE about this film really is. My only other complaint would be choosing moments to not use the french camera shake. You don't want your viewers to grow dizzy, balance in cinematics is just as important towards the story as anything else in a film. Because in the end that's what you want to deliver with as much clarity as possible, a story. Subsequently other qualities in this film are so good the story still managed to be clear as daylight.

In summary:

+Good Cinematography
+Great Compositing
+Great Special Effects
+Great Design
+Great Story
+Great Audio

-Terrible character animation
-Camera shake starts to get distracting

Wonderful visuals. The defined style and the natural animation were great - perhaps a little stiff at times, but it didn't detract from the film. I loved the several single takes throughout - it really brought me into the setting.

Great music. Nicely subtle yet supportive.

Lovely story. It had such a dear simplicity to it.

And I really like your credited position "Story Told by". Not seeking to impress the audience with the impressive fact of an entire short film of this quality created by one person.

Well done. Very well done.

Extremely well produced, with a very well tought out story - great job!!

This was okay. I liked the story being told, and although it nothing incredibly new or innovative, it was executed in a way that was entertaining.

What turned me off was that the animation had one glaring problem--the poses of the characters look very stiff and unnatural, and actions look very forced and they don't flow. Example: When the man is cutting a tree, he exerts no exaggerated movement. In his swing, he simply brings his arms down. Cutting a tree is a strenuous action and requires a LOT of force. He should be twisting and rotating his whole entire body, but the majority of his movement lies in his arms. Also, the axe should start relatively slow at the beginning of the swing, and should last almost no time at all between the slow part and when it gets to the tree. However, in the animation, the axe is going the same speed throughout the swing.

Similarly, the man only runs in one manner: the hunched-forward type of running. It's hard to describe. This the sort of running I imagine when Shaggy runs away from a monster in Scooby Doo. This can work, but it doesn't fit and it doesn't look right in the context of this animation.

If I were to give another example it would be when he bends down to pick up the axe after the dog brings it back to him. He just looks so off balance and unnatural. It looks like he's about to fall down.

These are the kinds of nuances and intricacies that really make up a work. The environment looks stunning and I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. But I dislike it when the flashy elements of a work almost, sort of, covers up its flaws. The music is great, and as I said before, I liked the story being told. But it just stood out so much to me when I saw how the characters looked and moved.

Cheers!