Reviews for "You Deserve a Princess"

I do like the overall premise of the game...although, I think the knight part is a little too short.

Also, I am in agreement with others who think the jumping is a bit glitchy. Particularly in the bottom left corner.

The sound is quite basic and you could use some additional varieties.

I still appreciate the effort you put into this, though. It is a good concept that needs to be expanded upon.

Not bad for the time of development. I really enjoyed the hook mechanic that the princess had for platforming, though I don't really understand what it was suppose to be. The disappearing health bar was a bit amateur, but it's not like it really hurt the gameplay so it's little more than a nitpick. Level design was sufficient, though a little bland as far as here is grey castle, and here is muddy outside.

The story would have been fine if perhaps some elements had been switched a little. The entire theme was too on the nose, and any more that you bludgeon your audience over the head with is one they'll tend to ignore. Even from looking at the title people are going to immediately know what it's about, and that ruins the impact of the message. If anything, the game would have worked better as you playing the woman first, doing some dungeon delving, only to find an enemy that attempts to kidnap you. After beating him and fearing for your family's safety(or some contrived reason), you go to visit the castle only to find your parents had sent the man to "rescue" you, leading to the inevitable conflict. Subversion of the medium works when you play with people's expectations, not by having the first line of dialogue paraphrase as, "You are hero, my daughter is an object. You can have her."

Interesting wall bounce mechanics, but the rest needs more work, basicly ...

Gameplay is... ok, at least for a game of this size. Not much to say about the controls, the mechanic with the extensible wall jump seemed almost interesting. Combats were bad and extremely easy. The king pattern was so bad that you could actually walk past behind him and he wouldn't even aim at you. Other than that, the level design was okay, too easy, but okay.

Graphics are bad. The animation on the characters can't be distinguished well enough with the backgrounds, effects are either mspaint tier or simply confusing (like the balls of... "energy" that the queen fired). Only paying attention to detail and seeing if the background combines would have helped a lot, at least one point of difference.

Music was annoying and repetitive. It intriged me however, I went to the artist page and it seems other of his works are at least more polished, I wouldn't say its my taste however, I find them just as annoying as the ones in this piece.

Storyline: gobacktotumblr/5. I simply don't know if watching sarkeesian videos made me realize the whole segmentation of crazy insane people that exist in the world today. It makes me sad that SJW ruined for me the plot twists on the princesses tropes.

Frankly, If it weren't for them I wouldn't be thinking that your sole intent was pleasing certain audience that don't care about narrative, games or quality as long as it advances their agenda. Still, you could have pulled this story a lot better. Though At least, I have to say that it combined well enough with the gameplay, it was interesting seeing the "multitude of angry people" as part of a new mechanic while the girl escaped.

Other than that, good effort, I would give you only one star, but considering it was for a jam I say this is... ok. Good luck and hope you make more, and better games.

you would have received a 5 but I kept getting glitched at the and of the first level as the princess. fix this and ill vote better!