Reviews for "You Deserve a Princess"

Like a few other people were saying, this game feels very rough and unfinished.

The general concept, though, is pretty great, and the gameplay feels good besides a few spots where the jumps are just a little too obnoxious (Primarily, the area that I have trouble describing besides as "The bottom-left corner of the dungeon").

I did bump you up a star so as to not be giving you the same score as Ranger2, though. I couldn't really stand to hold any similarity to someone who whines about games being too feminist on the internet. It's also why I don't wear fedoras.

I loved how well it controlled, and felt it had nice variety to game play. I love the idea of using the locrian mode in so many ways, and found the sound to be decent. You did a great job with a quick release!

This wasnt that bad TBH! the jumpin was challenging at some points

Very fun, interesting game, however short.

The graphics are minimalistic and tiny, but that's not bad, not in my opinion at least. The music is quite nice, but it gets a bit irritating after a while. I like how the "taking damage" sound effect's pitch is proportional to how much health the hero has left. There's a strange bug, though, in which the health HUD simply vanished after I died, and didn't return.

The gameplay is pretty cool, I enjoyed it a lot. The knight's gameplay is somewhat plain, but heck, it's not bad either (basically punching flower bushes and a tree to get flowers and kittens, while jumping on platforms and mushrooms, and avoiding spikes). The princess gameplay is pretty interesting (and a bit more creative), you traverse this non-linear dungeon, trying to find an exit and collecting chain/health upgrades in the way. The chain can be used to perform wall jumps, and the longer your chain gets, the better your climbing skills become. There are maybe one or two times when you have to time chain throws perfectly in order to reach a platform, and those are maybe the only times this game has actually annoyed me a little bit.

I really like how the chain is used, and how it gets longer and longer the more you add links to it, it's really satisfying to compare the final result of the chain with the tiny little piece of nothing we start with. I just wish there were some enemies to fight with the chain in the princess stage, just so I could use the chain for something other than shielding myself from projectiles and climbing.

Also, the story in this game really impressed me, in spite of its short length and simplicity. I expected it to be shallow, since it's just a Stencyl Jam entry, but heck, it's got some realistic messages in it. Some people feel like running arbitrary errands will buy them the love of a specific person, and they get outraged when that turns out to not be true (the knight's reaction to the princess not wanting to marry him shows that). Also, society/parents sometimes expect us to be a certain way, when we actually wanted to do something else with our lives, and the rebellious intellectual princess shows that nicely.

So, nice gameplay, and much better story than I expected. Good job!

loved it maybe make it longer