Reviews for "D-Pression"

Very good concept, but getting quite hard :D The music fits well. Good job!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks a lot, Chris! I appreciate that you checked out this small project of mine! Yeah, I figured it might be quite hard :p I'm glad you liked the music too! :'D

Could anyone please give me a hint on how to beat the level with nothing. I'm really fucking stuck. Have no clue to how I could possibly beat this level. I tried jumping with the lower dot but I can't get the gap big enough, it just ends up killing the white one.

I love this game tho. It's very unique. I'd just love to beat it and see the end :<

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Haha, yeah. I've tried to explain the solution in one of the comments here: http://lucidshadowdreamer.newgrounds.com/news/post/890565

It has been a difficult level for almost everyone :p

Thank you for liking my game, and I'm sorry if it took long before I responded! I just woke up.... Now back to sleep, hehhe....

Ways to get me to give a game 5 stars = make a game that synthesizes music and gameplay really well. My god the music works so well here. It's an amazing standalone piece already, but when you put it in the background of game, it just becomes so much better. And the deep chords that play when you mess up!

I eventually got stuck in one of the levels where you are moving you and your shadow in nearly duplicate levels at the same time. I couldn't quite figure out how to line it up so I'd be desynchronized from my shadow and I kept dying. Maybe this is metaphorical of depression too?

You should think about doing ludum dare (google it)! Perhaps you can make more gamess :D

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Whoah, thanks Johnfn! I really tried to implement the music in the game well, so I'm glad it seems as though I succeeded. The song was actually originally made about half a year ago, with no game to accompany it. But I decided to redo the piece, as well as add all the sound effects, purely for the sake of the athmosphere of the game! :'D

"And the deep chords that play when you mess up!"

=> This is my personal favorite. It pleases me that the sound suits the music so well, at most parts.

"I know a lot of people were complaining about the shadow being hard to see but from a metaphorical point of view, I like it. I was kind of feeling like it was a graphical glitch, which was a very unsettling feeling."

=> I feel pretty much the same way. Although the shadow can be difficult to see, I think that it might be for the best from as you said, a metaphorical standpoint :3

"I eventually got stuck in one of the levels where you are moving you and your shadow in nearly duplicate levels at the same time. I couldn't quite figure out how to line it up so I'd be desynchronized from my shadow and I kept dying."

Not to worry; you're not the only that has gotten stuck on some of the levels. If you're on the second one of those two, I'll give you a hint. The roof is higher for the shadow, but I made it difficult to notice :D If one jumps over the goal, and then to the top, before you fall down, you have the solution :p

"Maybe this is metaphorical of depression too?"

=> It is more meant to symbolize that you don't observe your surroundings properly, since everything is negative to you. That is, if we're talking about the same level. If you're on the former one, without any text, I don't think it really symbolizes that much :')

"You should think about doing ludum dare (google it)! Perhaps you can make more games :D"
=> I know nothing of coding, but I've spoken with another one of the game developers in this Jam, and it just might be that I'll participate in some way, or maybe musicwise XD

Thanks a lot for checking out my game, as well as for leaving an awesome review!!!

Very nice!! I like the gameplay, the music is awesome and the graphics are nice too.
5/5

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you, Celyas! I'm surprised, yet thrilled that so many people liked the graphics too, since I'm very bad at animations and art in general. It feels good to know that I managed well enough for the game to be enjoyable :')

Nice. Good music to go with it too. I like the dark atmosphere. A good puzzle game on its own accord, but it's all about the dark atmosphere. Though I didn't understand a word of the narration. But then I don't believe seeing life as a pit of hopeless despair is necessarily a sign of neurons misfiring in any pathological way, because that's the way it is. Beavis and Butthead said it best. Life sucks, and then you die. And I wouldn't accuse someone who ends it early instead of hiding in the corner from the grim reaper all his life of having made an irrational or wrong decision there. As a matter of fact, the time draws near that I'm going to do that myself.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the music and the athmosphere!

The narration might be a bit odd at times, I agree :p

Well, real depression is a real disease, there's no question about it :(
I think one can view life as bad even if one isn't suffering from it, but then you'd have to live under pretty poor conditions. I'm actually a bit cynical myself, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that life always sucks, but I guess that it's different for all people.

I wouldn't necessarily accuse someone who ends his/her life early, but I would pity them. I think that there are only a handful of good reasons to die, but I do support euthanasia in those specific cases. I don't feel like depression is one of them though, since it seriously affects your line of thinking. If you can't rationalize properly (although you might think you can; one pretty much always feels like one does, even if that's not always true). To think that you know whether you'll want to live ten years from now, is not much unlike thinking you'll drive super well when you're drunk; it just aint so :/

And I think that hiding from the grim reaper might not be as cowardly as hiding from life :) I'm not saying that all people who commit suicide are cowards, but all of them are certainly not brave. Some people don't do it for irrational reasons, especially if they have a horrible uncurable disease, but thinking life sucks usually isn't one of them :p
I hope you'll think twice about forcing the grim reaper to come to you on beforehand, instead of welcoming him with open arms when he comes for you; if not for yourself, then for others. I can't say I have all the wisdom in the world, but I know more than most about issues like this :(
That is also why I chose to end the game in a postitive light :3