Reviews for "D-Pression"

An incredible, brooding, powerful game. It actually has a powerful message at the end. Some of the final levels, including the two empty room were a challenge, but after figuring out the whole, stop on the floor continue in the air thing, it was easy. Overall an incredible experience. Can't wait to see the finished game. I did have a bit of trouble on the wall jumping, as the character didn't always wall jump, but would instead simply drop away from the wall.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks a ton! I'm happy too see you liked the ending too! No one has commented on it yet, prior to you :D

That level... Maybe I made it too difficult hahha? Since the level is just a black box, maybe it's one of those "think outside of the box" situations :p

Actually, if you keep pressing your directional arrow key against the wall, the jumping should be fine :/

Thanks again ;)

oh i hope that the author senpai notices me XD, he is responding to everyone, i got stuck, good game :(
i was hoping trama or something, but there is no trama, but instead i got a nice and simple puzzle game

PS: i bugged it a little bit to pass levels XD

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Oh I noticed you alright ;)

If you got stuck on the same level as most people, I've included an explanation of the solution in the comment section of my latest news post :)

Are you talking about 'trauma', or do I simply don't know what 'trama' is?

Bugged it ey? :p I wonder how :)

Thanks!

I always enjoy a game that's simple to grasp as a concept and proves to be difficult in execution. Your game is difficult in execution over a particular concept that I failed to recognize until I saw you mention it in a comment, and once I understood actually made it extremely easy to beat the game again (5 minutes instead of an 45): friction. Even with the word tip, I felt accomplished to be forced to try and find another way to play through to beat certain levels, and made it a more enjoyable experience.

My critique would be although once I learned how to do this (with the infamous empty level with the goal in the top right corner), I could actually do it to most of the other levels in the same design when I played again, and it felt like I was easily able to abuse the game play. Otherwise, this was a very atmospheric and worthwhile game. I feel if you're going to go with the concepts of depression and shadows, that you should elaborate and include more detail in an expansion or sequel, otherwise it's a bit too light to do anything with it.

Cheers, hope you do well in the contest.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

YAY, thanks for such a good and honest review!

I agree with most of what you said here. Simple yet difficult is often a good formula. Yes, I know that as of now, this game lacks some replayability. And the tip about using friction can be very helpful indeed. I of course, since I am the developer, can beat every single level in at least two ways, haha XD
And I'm also aware that one can, as you said "abuse" the game at certain points using similar techniques. However, there are many more ways you can abuse the technical parts of the game to make the puzzles easier. And even if you couldn't do this, you would remember the solutions to most of the puzzles you've already compleated anyway :'D. But I'd like to point out that a part of the game is meant to be more "physical" (it's kind of a personal reference, about something that should remain private). I didn't have time to do this, because of the deadline, but I'm currently editing in more text (story) into every level, which will both keep it more interesting, as well as help with the theme!

Thanks again for the review :3

It was actually a really good game. With a great atmosphere, music, and premise all still while being challenging, it really is destined to kick off into medals and perhaps even more games if you felt up to the task.

*Was* being the keyword.

The hit markers were sluggish to compute at best (sometimes tapping me out when I was only right next to the shadow, or just dropping me off the ledge of a platform) , and controls were incredibly sticky and laggy, sometimes not even working at all. I understand how you may have wanted this intentionally to show the 'hopelessness' of depression, but it becomes less hopeless and more absolutely frustrating when you have to do the exact same level 16 times in a row; and I certainly should not have to resort to mashing the keyboard HOPING I get some type of solution or advantage out of it. This is not the purpose of a puzzle game. I was on the last level and simply could not muster up the patience to get through it because I was so angry at the fact that the shadow seemed to literally be attracted to me like a magnet (and don't even get me started on the wall climbing and fall physics).

I would suggest keeping a version of this as is in order to show to others, to prove that even a wonderfully simply yet complex and atmospheric game could be absolutely ruined by shoddy controls alone.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Heyy, I'm glad you liked the game's idea at least!

Hahha, I think you might be mistaken. If the game is laggy, I'd actually guess that either your flash or computer needs updating. Did you try right clicking and selecting low quality? It might help! If your systems are actually working fine, I'm gussing that it's just a difference in perception, since only a few people have commented on poor controls. Sure, there are a few things that need fixing, but to me it sounds like your experience was dramatically damaged by the fact, which makes me suspicious of your hardware :3

And let me spoil it to you; the last level is one of the easiest ones in the whole game, if you know how do do it right XD I'm thinking you simply don't know how to do it :9
And yes, it's easy no matter how laggy the game is, so yeah...

Still, I agree that not all controls are optimal, but I'd still say that I think your execution might factor up to some of the disappointment. But good job, since you beat all the other levels, although you experienced such issues! It's a shame that you decided to ragequit on the last one :'D

And thanks for the rieview!

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I like how you wrote rage, but still gave me such a generous score! Cheers!