Reviews for "D-Pression"

upsidedoon ramp riding = owwee my fingerz

but really dis is good gaem it made me cum all over my screen

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Ahaha, I'm glad got some real special enjoyment out of my game ;)

pretty good game. like the puzzles and the music. menu with levels would be fine. go on!!!

Thanks a lot!

I would've liked a level menu too. I didn't have time to make one for the contest, but I'll probably expand upon the game over the summer. I will most likely add more levels, as as add a level select option, and change some things where I think the game faults.

I thought the puzzles were mostly easy because it was about looking for the non-symmetry in the playing field. Spent most of the time plowing head first into walls to give breathing room. By contrast, the simplicity of the early levels made me aggravated at the two nothing square tracks; I hadn't even noticed the lingering velocity in the jumps until them. I would rate lower, but not only can I not think of a way of making the puzzles more subtle, but this is probably as technical as the game could get without becoming tedious. Nice game - like sweet & sour - it is just the right mixture of breezy and aggravating.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Whoah, is this "review hour" or something? Haha, four in this short a time; thanks guys!

I decided to keep the early levels simple, since I've seen several developers get bashings for not doing so :)
Those two "square tracks"... Have turned out to be challenging to many :')

"I would rate lower, but not only can I not think of a way of making the puzzles more subtle, but this is probably as technical as the game could get without becoming tedious"

=> Thanks for not rating lower then :) But personally, I think a lot more could be done with the concept; I sadly run out of time XD

"Nice game - like sweet & sour - it is just the right mixture of breezy and aggravating."

=> Thanks again ;)

Get rid of the annoying square levels, don't use that glitchy mechanic in any other levels, and include more varied levels and this would have been a much better game. Such precision as those require should never be required in any game. I'm surprised this has as high a rating as it does, including those. I consider those levels a troll to the player and a cheap gimmick. It's not a game I would consider replaying.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Well, I think it's a little late to get rid of those specific levels, but I certainly would have liked to include more varied levels! But you need to realize that I was under a lot of time pressure, since I needed to reach the deadline XD
I'll probably still update this game at points.

"Such precision as those require should never be required in any game"

=> They actually don't really require that much precision if you really know what to do though...

"a cheap gimmick"

=> Speaking of varieties in levels, those two you mentioned were primarily meant just for that. Instead of relying on normal puzzle solving, you need to use different game mechanics to slove them :)

"I'm surprised this has as high a rating as it does"

=> That's okay too! From what I've read, it seems like most of the high scores are due to the athmosphere, although some like the level designs too! I think you might be focusing too much of the entire game on only those levels, while ignoring other aspects :) Which is okay of course; everyone likes different stuff :'D

"There are "legit" and "cheap" ways to make a game hard. This is a "cheap" way. It falls in the lines of pixel-perfection required, arcane knowledge required, etc... Don't do that to your players. If you want to make a hard game, make it "legit" hard."

=> Whoah; still you compleated the entire game, which is quite admirable! Again, in my defence, I don't fully agree with your "cheap" versus "legit" logic. This is, since those levels are extremely easy if you know how to complete them, which means a process where you need to come to the solution is required. Granted, there can be a few different ways of beating these levels, and since you're speaking about "such precision", I'm thinking maybe you solved them in some more difficult way? Lets just say, if I really wanted to use a cheap gimmick just to make a game more difficult, I would never do something SO obvious. The levels are not primarily there to make the game difficult, which you seem to have presumed :')
But oh well, you're partly right as well. They turned out to be A LOT harder than I intended!

"I guess my advice would be go ahead and leave it as-is since you already did it and people have already toiled through it, but don't ever do anything like that again on any future games. It's bad design and puts people off from playing your games."

=> I think I might take your advice on this one, since I've gotten so much negative feedback over this (but note: some positive too!). I don't know how I could do something similar again though, since I think that those levels are pretty unique situations, which are difficult to redo with games that use different logic :)

Thanks a lot for your review!

When i first completed the area of nothing, i had done it using a VERY specific timed jump trick, when i got to the smaller one i had no idea what to do, thanks to your guide in the thingy that was numbered ten that you linked in a previous comment, i was able to complete the second one, good job with that

the game itself is definitely challenging at points, such as your first wall jump puzzle, took me a few tries as you could probably guess, other than the second nothing area, there wasn't any reason i'd need a guide, which is good

i... have nothing else i can think of about the game, except the music having been a little boring after awhile, but isnt that the case with most music?

~Eclipse/Supersonic50

Thanks for your review!

Yeah, I figured that since so many people had troubles with those levels, I might as well reveal how to do them :p It's good that you found the game challenging at certain points :3

And I can undersand that the music gets boring after a while. After all, it's a loop :p
Luckily, I included a mute button :)