Reviews for "D-Pression"

FINALLY DONE!!!! Man, that big open room was tough! Took me like 15 minutes to learn the trick (there's no 'I' in quitter... or something like that). Difficult, but definitely do-able. Lacked just a little something visually (luster or finish) but nice!

Musically, I'm a whore for the minor keys so it was quite pleasing to me.

AND congrats on the Stencyl Jam bud!!! Keep it up!

Thanks mate!
I know that that room was difficult for EVERRYONE; possibly pretty bad game design on my part, haha :p

Yeah, I tried my best on the visual department too, but considering I'm not a real animator/artist, and that I had a real lack of time, I think i managed okay :3

"Musically, I'm a whore for the minor keys so it was quite pleasing to me."

=> Yesss, I'm glad I've gotten so much positive feedback about the music, since a musician is really what I am in my core XD

"AND congrats on the Stencyl Jam bud!!! Keep it up!"

Thanks again, and thanks for the review. I'll definitely do my best to keep it up!!!

Very nice!! I like the gameplay, the music is awesome and the graphics are nice too.
5/5

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you, Celyas! I'm surprised, yet thrilled that so many people liked the graphics too, since I'm very bad at animations and art in general. It feels good to know that I managed well enough for the game to be enjoyable :')

Ways to get me to give a game 5 stars = make a game that synthesizes music and gameplay really well. My god the music works so well here. It's an amazing standalone piece already, but when you put it in the background of game, it just becomes so much better. And the deep chords that play when you mess up!

I eventually got stuck in one of the levels where you are moving you and your shadow in nearly duplicate levels at the same time. I couldn't quite figure out how to line it up so I'd be desynchronized from my shadow and I kept dying. Maybe this is metaphorical of depression too?

You should think about doing ludum dare (google it)! Perhaps you can make more gamess :D

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Whoah, thanks Johnfn! I really tried to implement the music in the game well, so I'm glad it seems as though I succeeded. The song was actually originally made about half a year ago, with no game to accompany it. But I decided to redo the piece, as well as add all the sound effects, purely for the sake of the athmosphere of the game! :'D

"And the deep chords that play when you mess up!"

=> This is my personal favorite. It pleases me that the sound suits the music so well, at most parts.

"I know a lot of people were complaining about the shadow being hard to see but from a metaphorical point of view, I like it. I was kind of feeling like it was a graphical glitch, which was a very unsettling feeling."

=> I feel pretty much the same way. Although the shadow can be difficult to see, I think that it might be for the best from as you said, a metaphorical standpoint :3

"I eventually got stuck in one of the levels where you are moving you and your shadow in nearly duplicate levels at the same time. I couldn't quite figure out how to line it up so I'd be desynchronized from my shadow and I kept dying."

Not to worry; you're not the only that has gotten stuck on some of the levels. If you're on the second one of those two, I'll give you a hint. The roof is higher for the shadow, but I made it difficult to notice :D If one jumps over the goal, and then to the top, before you fall down, you have the solution :p

"Maybe this is metaphorical of depression too?"

=> It is more meant to symbolize that you don't observe your surroundings properly, since everything is negative to you. That is, if we're talking about the same level. If you're on the former one, without any text, I don't think it really symbolizes that much :')

"You should think about doing ludum dare (google it)! Perhaps you can make more games :D"
=> I know nothing of coding, but I've spoken with another one of the game developers in this Jam, and it just might be that I'll participate in some way, or maybe musicwise XD

Thanks a lot for checking out my game, as well as for leaving an awesome review!!!

I love full keyboard games and i love puzzle games.
So i loveĀ² this game :D

That's good to hear!
Thanks for the positive feedback X'D!

I liked the physics and the back ground music, but when I reached the end of a level it didn't go to the next. i would have to pause>menu>load game>win. kinda of tedious, and unfortunately i have to dock the score. i only got three levels in before i quit.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Wait wait wait wait wait wait... What?

I'm glad you liked the music as well as the physics, but listen here.
Out of 7 pages of reviews, you're the only one that has mentioned any such issue. Clearly, that is not something that is necessarily a part of the game.

If you want to be really nice, could you try downloading a newer version of flash, or switching browser and playing the game again, just to see if it works? I seriously doubt that this has antything do do with the game! If you do, please PM me and tell me how it went!

I understand that you had to dock the score, those conditions sound like a hell to play with! But I'm testing it right now, and everything works just fine for me! :p

Thanks for mentioning it!