Reviews for "D-Pression"

Took me bloody ages to figure out that fucking square room, tell you what.

It was a clever mechanic, using friction, but honestly since absolutely everything you're taught up until then tells you that the two balls will always travel at the same speed, it was a little confusing. I'd recommend at least a hint in that level.

"Sometimes letting go can get you farther than holding on"

Though that might be too obtuse.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

"...everything you're taught up until then tells you that the two balls will always travel at the same speed, it was a little confusing. I'd recommend at least a hint in that level."

=> Know what? You're probably right. I will make a semi-large update this game sometime during the summer, and I will to begin with, add more levels, to more slowly introduce the player to physics. But also, I will try to come up with some kind of a hint.

Good job on beating the game though ;)

"All the same, nice little game and a nice contribution to the Jam, dude. My score might be inflated, but who's going to argue reviewing harshly here of all places?"

=> Thanks, Lintire! You're right; I've been very easy on many of the contributions too, and I think they deserve that. This year was full of amazing games :p I can barely wait for the coming jams!

I can't get past the fucking tutorial part where you are sliding down the walls. I gave up. But I don't feel your rating should suffer. The game looks good, I just couldn't do it.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Ah, that's a shame. I must admit the controls could be better. However, try not to jump all the way from the top; jumping from about the middle of the wall (by pressing up and right at the same time, while letting go of the left key), will actually make you jump further, since you won't hit the roof!

Thanks for still giving the game such a high score though, and for leaving a review!

Wow, what challenging game. Took me a couple of hours. I did like it though, I just wish it were a bit easier!

All in all, the execution of this is quite impressive, despite it's simplicity. I suppose that's a good thing right? Good job.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Well, I think congratulations are in order for beating it; only 1 in 40 have the medal. However, I'm not keeping track of users that are not logged in :p
I think the game should be either a bit easier, or a bit longer, so you have more time to adjust to it! I will in fact expand upon the game later this summer; add more levels, possibly a level select option, as well as polish some things :)

I'm glad you think the game is impressive, and thank you for the review!

Nice. Good music to go with it too. I like the dark atmosphere. A good puzzle game on its own accord, but it's all about the dark atmosphere. Though I didn't understand a word of the narration. But then I don't believe seeing life as a pit of hopeless despair is necessarily a sign of neurons misfiring in any pathological way, because that's the way it is. Beavis and Butthead said it best. Life sucks, and then you die. And I wouldn't accuse someone who ends it early instead of hiding in the corner from the grim reaper all his life of having made an irrational or wrong decision there. As a matter of fact, the time draws near that I'm going to do that myself.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the music and the athmosphere!

The narration might be a bit odd at times, I agree :p

Well, real depression is a real disease, there's no question about it :(
I think one can view life as bad even if one isn't suffering from it, but then you'd have to live under pretty poor conditions. I'm actually a bit cynical myself, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that life always sucks, but I guess that it's different for all people.

I wouldn't necessarily accuse someone who ends his/her life early, but I would pity them. I think that there are only a handful of good reasons to die, but I do support euthanasia in those specific cases. I don't feel like depression is one of them though, since it seriously affects your line of thinking. If you can't rationalize properly (although you might think you can; one pretty much always feels like one does, even if that's not always true). To think that you know whether you'll want to live ten years from now, is not much unlike thinking you'll drive super well when you're drunk; it just aint so :/

And I think that hiding from the grim reaper might not be as cowardly as hiding from life :) I'm not saying that all people who commit suicide are cowards, but all of them are certainly not brave. Some people don't do it for irrational reasons, especially if they have a horrible uncurable disease, but thinking life sucks usually isn't one of them :p
I hope you'll think twice about forcing the grim reaper to come to you on beforehand, instead of welcoming him with open arms when he comes for you; if not for yourself, then for others. I can't say I have all the wisdom in the world, but I know more than most about issues like this :(
That is also why I chose to end the game in a postitive light :3

i have some problems with deprecion and all that...otherwise a really well done game, Hard dificulty, nice consept, just like the old times, i really enjoy it

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks a lot! Good job on beating the entire game, since it is not an easy task!