Reviews for "StarBright"

am i the only one who sees the background from FEZ?

2.5 stars because i couldn't understand gameplay, sorry.

SirNightOwl responds:

Well it's a 2D platformer, you jump on platforms. Sometimes to other platforms. Sometimes you jump up to platforms, sometimes you jump down to platforms. Spikes are sharp and hurt you, as do saws so avoid them. The narrative is pretty simple as explained at the very start, stars have fallen and you need to find them. Using these platformer abilities you can explore levels to find them.

No apology necessary, I'll make it more simple next time.

FEZ was a huge inspiration, but the FEZ backgrounds are quite different, typically blues of floating islands, my background was green and bushy. I wanted to capture the 'fresh air' feel FEZ had, thats all :)

(This might come across sarcastic but it isn't, I'm quite distressed at how this game wasn't 'understandable'?)

Gameplay is good but the game lacks lots of presentational elements and details. E.g., there should be instructions in-game as well, and the story is vague at best. Why is there a wizard?

SirNightOwl responds:

Yeah I agree, as stated it is my first game and this is definitely something I will do in the future! The wizard was going to provide and be part of a narrative, but time ran out so I only got to use him for the intro :(

moving platforms drag upwards but not downwards which makes us hang in the air if we didn't guess the turn point perfectly which prevents us from double jumping.
Since you already got the dragging-up part right im just wondering why you didn't finish that platform. code (and no, it is not something "natural" or "well thought", it is just a broken mechanic, so early into the game it kinda kills the fun already).

And yea I can the Fez inspiration good job on that.

SirNightOwl responds:

The platforms were strange to program to be honest, it wasn't a case of 'couldn't be bothered to finish' I couldn't dedicate any more time to them and release on time, and they were working well enough in my opinion :(

Thanks :D

I really dig the folksy art style you've got going on.
It's really easy to digest and fun to traverse along the levels. The music accompanying the levels is also very smart in choice. It kept with the theme of the levels and I was relaxed the whole time. The level design and music blended well with the simple platforming to make for a satisfying experience.

I didn't like the constant jump noise your character made every time they took to the air. It was jarring to have to hear it over and over. Speaking of the character, I don't like the choice of a Meatboy clone being the main character. I would have liked to see maybe an elf, or a gnome or some such creature that flowed well with the rest of the game's core ideas.

Overall, I think this is a simple platformer that is fun and satisfying in it's own right and I'd like to see more in the future.

SirNightOwl responds:

Thanks for the review! This is the kind of detail I like to read! Next time I'll add a 'mute sound effects button' in addition to the music one. Whilst I know there is similarities between meatboy and my character it is pure coincidence, the colour for example is the sky colour inverted and the character design actually comes from another game entirely myself and Turkey are working on. However I really like your ideas of an elk or gnome for a character!

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

On the path to the tenth star, there are a couple points where the Double Jump can suddenly stop working right when you need it most. It looks like hitting a ceiling might have something to do with it...but there's no reason why that should be the case.

SirNightOwl responds:

Ok, thanks for letting me know! I shall look into it! :)