Reviews for "Tainted Olive - Chapter 1"

I always like a good point and click. The art and music gave this one a great atmosphere. The puzzles were hard at parts, but not frustratingly so. I especially liked the mora puzzle. There really wasn't anything I disliked about it, and I'm looking forward to the next part.

This is one of the best renditions of a full RPG I've seen here or many other sites. I'm a big fan of the point-and-click style of games, and I love RPGs. This has a story that seems intriguing and not too crazy. I love the art style, the sound did well to set the mood, and I liked the dialogue system.
The only thing I could suggest (and to be honest, it's not that big of a deal) is maybe some kind of secrets that don't necessarily affect how you do in the game but add something.
Other than that, it was a fantastic game. I can't wait for the next installment.

BlackOlive responds:

Hehe... well, there are secrets in the game, but probably not like you meant. Mostly they are hidden in plain sight (in dialogue), and those are tidbits about the story of the later chapters. There is one secret, if you come talk to the innkeeper after you have the fishing net, but before you take the lobster, that reveals how the innkeeper is up to something. Not really a big deal (since it is revealed in the closing cutscene), but I think it adds to the mystery.

This game is very nicely done! I love the hand drawn graphics, the music was nice, and I liked that the solution to the puzzles were included in the dialogue, if you paid attention.
The story seems very intriguing too. It hooks you and pulls you right in very effectively. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what happens next!
Also, I liked that the screen wasn't flooded with too many useless clickable objects. It helped to keep it simple and clean.

The only complaint I have is that the puzzles were a little too easy, in my opinion. But since this is the first chapter and an introduction to the story, I can understand why it would be simple at first. I would love to see harder puzzles in later chapters though.

All in all, this was a visually pleasing, well made little game. I'll definitely be back to play the next chapter. :)

Great game! Everything worked no problems for me. Great example of how a good story is far more important than pretty graphics/animations - note that I thought the art style was fine (i.e. did not detract from the gameplay and was detailed enough to be interesting, but not so detailed as to be overwhelming).

Did not feel particularly challenged by anything - if you follow what you read, then there are no problems (that's actually a good thing!) - thankfully the narrative dragged me along.

I would have liked a few more click-able item descriptions, just to get a little consistency: like I can click one barrel, but not the other - or I can click part of the ocean (not the whole ocean?!), but can't click the ship (which would be the obvious thing to stare at).

Music set the tone quite well.

Well done.

BlackOlive responds:

Thanks for the good review! That's exactly what we were aiming at with the narrative-puzzle integration - puzzles that are completely logical, with instructions somewhere in the narrative.

As for the clickables - if I don't have an inspiration for a clickable item description, I would rather not put in anything instead of having something I won't like. Anyway, hope you've noticed the clickables have different descriptions if you use items on them :)

The art was a nice touch, but some of the links never worked for me. The map would never open and the well was glitchy. I never got off of the first page. I tried refreshing the game and starting a new game but to no avail. Im curious about the rest of the game though.

Hmmm. Did this happen:

You were at the well, then you clicked "Menu", then "Continue Playing", and then you picked up the map? Seems there is a bug if you do it like that; I'll correct it as soon as possible!

Anyway, try a different browser please, maybe it'll work.