Reviews for "Labyrinth: SoS"

Damn reminds me about lode runner

:-D

I like the aesthetics, the characters are all well designed and I like how the little cat guy looks when he moves. The controls are mostly good too, although you pretty much have to be standing still when firing a rocket or grenade because its too easy to shoot it in the wrong direction otherwise.

The randomness is a good idea, but somewhat poorly executed. I had one run end when I couldn't find any item to improve my jump or any rockets to open up a path to one last orb. I'd like to think it was a matter of having just missed something, but I had a map so I'm not sure how I could have missed anything. Its also very annoying when I can find multiples of a single item in one run but almost none of anything else. Not sure if its a glitch, but I rarely get equipment if I'm given abilities, and vice versa.

Some kind of casual mode would be fun too, like a set of pre-designed levels with a final boss, although its not entirely necessary.

Overall I like it and hope to see it improved over time. This'd be a fun game to play on a handheld.

PestoForce responds:

Playing on a handheld would be awesome!

Pretty nice game, dude. I like the retro feel to it.

Thanks dude.

So basically I'm a cute little demon cat type thing going around smashing orbs collecting cool powerups and fighting massive bosses? Sign me up!

Hahah not to mention a great team. I'm still early in the game but as tiring as seeing pixel art sometimes I can safely say its all done right. Nothing too fancy othewise but I like it for what it is. Nice work team!

You are signed up!

This is a pretty good game, not without it's flaws, but regardless, a good game. The story, you're a red devil cat... thing, cause why not? And you must destroy these orbs of evil and defeat the lizard that lays within the dungeon, why a lizard you my ask, because why not? To help you along your quest you gather loot and powerups to make it easier to vanquish your foes. Story is not put together all that well but who cares because it's the game and the loot we care for. The visuals are extremely well done. The animation is very smooth and the game is overall pleasing to look at, not exactly NES or even SNES graphics, still very good. If you want a good example of 8-bit graphics check out Sinclarin's work. The music isn't bad or good, but I'd rather listen to something like a megaman soundtrack. Controlling the protagonist feels a bit stiff, but once you start falling you just plummet like a cannonball shot from a cannon in space, with an added fall damage, this I could do without. Because of the gravity I've fallen onto enemies and into acid pits causing unnecessary stress and cracks on your computer screen from punching it so hard, luckily this gets fixed as soon as you get the glide powerup, but tedious to spam it just to make sure I don't fall on anything that will kill me. The gameplay itself is basic, kill things, destroy orbs, get loot, kick bosses butt. At first you seem like a helpless thing that can only jump and do measly damage with a scratch attack, which needs to cool down constantly, and a small ranged attack, similar to how Link in the first couple of Zelda games can shoot things at full health, once you get hit, ya lose it. The worst part is you're expected to beat a huge boss in the boss room with a boss added every few levels which changes between four different ones, a guy with a sword, a guy who can shoot magic blsats, a guy with a freaking laser beam like Cyclops from X Men, and a guy with a turban that spawns jumping enemies everywhere onto you and teleports wherever he wants even if that means in the exact spot that you're at! This helplessness eventually goes away as you play along and gain powerups you start to feel more powerful, but the turban guy is still so freaking cheap! You get to jump higher, climb stuff, spam your attack like ya ain't going to live tomorrow, and break stuff like the hulk. You bet more and more powerful, driving you to see how much more powerful you can get, however, eventually you gain all the powerups, killing the same enemies gets boring, you can spam attack without worrying about cooldown, you got the most powerful armor, and you can 1-hit the orbs. This causes the player to just want to go strait to the boss after reloading and hunting for the flight powerup which goes away once you get hit once. Overall the game is good to goof around with. It's difficulty is not exactly a legitimate one, it's created by the bosses, especially the turban one, he just makes me so mad! Dropping enemies right on top of you and teleporting, guess where, right on top of you! The visuals are very well done, I really like them, but everything else is just, okay. A very good effort, to make this better, you could have added some more enemies and some with unique attacks. Also lightening up on the gravity to make a fair falling speed would improve the game a lot and just remove the fall damage. Falling from the place you wanted to be is bad enough, the player does not need salt in the wound. Also I would have made some weapons to add to your attack and some gears that have effects, like shooting fireballs or poisoning. Just a larger variety of powerups, weapons, and enemies could make someone want to play this game a bit longer and create an actually fair difficulty would have improved this game a lot.

PestoForce responds:

Thx for the detailed wall of text! (I did read it all!)