Reviews for "You Have One Box"

simple design... music was repetitive and annoying. but the puzzles were more of timing and accuracy. good concept but needs more puzzles that are puzzling and more mellow music.

Most of the reviews on this page cover it. Although I'd disagree on certain points. For one, some of the levels are VERY hard. Whether it takes 6 million tries to complete something has nothing to do with the difficulty. An element to puzzle-solving is looking at your puzzle before you try to solve it, which you pulled off nicely. Though it was short which, for the purpose of which you made it, can't be helped, you still made good use of your space. And yeah, that music made me want to rip out my ears.

The one point I want to make above all others is the order in which you placed the levels. The absolute hardest level was 9 because you have to follow Bob's exact pace within an excruciatingly narrow, straight-line path. That one should be at the end, because it's just damn hard. So many games do this, it seems. The hardest level/boss/whatever isn't at the end of the game, where it should be. That's the whole point of getting to the end of a game; to overcome the most difficult challenge. That could use some more thought. Other than that, I really don't know anything about programming, so I can't say much more about it. I still think you did good as hell for two days.

Incredibly obnoxious music, and level 9 is frigging impossible with a touchpad instead of a proper mouse because when my finger gets to the right side of it I have to lift it up and put it down somewhere on the left side and by then he's jumped off to his doom, it's not a test of problem solving or even reaction time and coordination.

It's enjoyable if you aren't paying attention to the music and the graphics. The gameplay was quite fun but rather short so i'll give it a 2.5/5

The game is programmed well enough and everything seems to do what it's supposed to. It could have used more variation in level design, more traps, and so forth. The concept is good and can be pretty fun, though I think something similar has been done before with stationary objects rather than a physics-based one. ("Mario & Wario" comes to mind.) It's not a bad idea, but it was poorly executed.

Of the 12 levels, I only had problems with the last. Levels 1 through 11 do a decent job of teaching you the physics of the game, but there's really no tenseness to the levels, wherein Bob is in direct danger of being killed. It's just all busy-work and timing with a whole lot of "red herring" dangers.
The game is also challenging... but it's a completely artificial difficulty. Due to how the "grab" engine was coded, when the left mouse button is held down, there's an invisible sphere of influence which pulls the box toward the mouse cursor. If you move the cursor too fast, the box leaves the sphere of influence and thus, leaves your control. The box also seems to have some collision detection issues with the walls.

The sound effects are fine, but that music is one of the more annoying things I have ever heard in ANY game. I'm VERY glad there's a mute button.

All and all, this isn't the worst thing I've ever played on Newgrounds, but it's nothing to write home about, either.