Reviews for "Alien Splatter"

I understand why you have the disclaimer. So many people rate games badly these days just because they're "too hard" so truly 5-star-worthy games end up with maybe 3 1/2 or 4 if they're lucky.

I also like how you kept a truly old school feel to this and not fake "old skool" that I see so often. You actually imposed limits on yourself and didn't just use whatever colors you felt like nor did you have blocky graphics rotating around with magically crisp well-defined slanted edges like I see so often in "old skool" wannabe stuff.

For people complaining about the passwords instead of saves, just remember he could have gone even more old school and not even had passwords. Death equals start the entire game over again.

SinclairStrange responds:

I was toying with the motion of doing the "one sitting" rule but I just couldn't be that mean! The only reason I whacked up that disclaimer is that when people played Ninja Virus (my other NES styled game) people post reviews saying "too hard" and zero bomb it. So it was my way of warning them.

I love making ol' school games, limitations are fun to get around, they force you to make things different which makes you become a little more creative when it comes to design.

Thanks for the review!

Great retro comeback! Difficulty is just the right amount, awesome graphics and music. Good variety of weapons, though I found some not very useful. Would be cool to have some vehicle as in say Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on NES, that game also has train level :)

SinclairStrange responds:

Never know, next time I might add in some vehicles or something levels that include you piloting one :). I'm glad you enjoyed!

This game is very appealing. I love retro games, and have a sweet spot for NES games in particular.

I can tell you full-heartedly that this could easily have been in one of those grey cartridges. The graphic style matches it flawlessly, as well as the sound. The NES difficulty makes an unmistakable appearance, and I loved it. The challenge is definitely there, and I plugged in my USB NES controller for a more authentic feel. If I had one criticism, it would be that the keyboard controls make the game a lot more challenging, especially due to other flash games making me used to jumping with W or up arrow.

5/5. Great design and perfect recreation of 8-bit gaming. Definitely worth playing through.

SinclairStrange responds:

Thanks, aye if only we could make flash games that support joystick controls. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

nothing like a retro platformer to make you feel small again. quit at level 5, my eyes started to hurt. now i feel old....crap

I don't have words to describe how I feel about this game...