Reviews for "Social Dysphoria The Game"

I really liked it! The music, the art, and the style. The gameplay was simple but fun. I like the social commentary aspect, and I'm glad that there are games that transpeople can identify with!

A fairly well crafted game, I'd say. It does a good job of doing what it sets out to do, namely highlighting the abuse and generally poor treatment of transgendered individuals by some of society's less understanding members. Not much to do within it, but that's not unusual for flashgames. That being said, gameplay does tend to get a little dull before long, but I can't really fault it for that due to the underlying messages. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to say, however. Overall, though, I'd say this was a pretty good creation.

I love when games serve as valid, poignant social commentary. As a cisfemale, this really helps me to understand what the trans* community must go through... to a certain extent, at least. Obviously as a cisfemale I'm never going to fully understand. But I digress. It's a solid game, short but sweet, and like I said- its message is incredibly valuable and timely. Well done.

I like that this is trying to put cisgendered people into the role of transgendered people, and to give some people some insight into what it's like to be consistently misrepresented and judged. On the other hand... you missed two things. One is that the pressure for the body to conform to the mind doesn't suit everyone. While some people are obviously better off having sex correction surgery, others only suffer due to the expectation from heteronormative society to look like this or that, and from other trans people to be a 'typical trans person' otherwise you're not 'real'. It can invalidate a person as much as pronoun misuse etc.

My other problem is that this is very gender-binary. A 'No' option at the start would be pretty good... I know some trans people like to think that genderqueer individuals are attention seeking or fake though. It's funny to see trans people say the same stuff about genderqueer people as cis people do about trans people. But I assume it's just an oversight in your case.

VOEC responds:

This is only really meant to be a representation of what transsexual (as in people who seek hrt etc.) people go to in contrast to trans* in general.
But I think if you not focus too much on the ending screen and the game over screen it still works as something that is relevant to all trans* individuals.

But the focus of the game comes from the original idea as stated in the description, which was written by a transsexual person.
Also there is a gender nonbinary option which you can unlock by getting a certain score. It actually even says "No" as the option. So I wouldn't call it an oversight, just what the original idea was focused on.

Ha, I always pick boy so this fits :)