For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 56 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "Socrates Jones: Pro Philo"

This... this had to be the best game I have ever played.

There were a few problems, like being sorta linear. Sometimes I believed I have found the answer but there was no way to express it in the game. Though this isn't a bad thing since this wasn't the game's plan to begin with. Then there was the fact that you couldn't relate with the character since he already had a set backstory and personallity... though this isn't a problem either since this isn't what this game is supposed to give you.

What it did give me was a reason to think and lots of knoweldge. I just loved it and want to thank anyone who participated in making it and I would love to see some sort of sequel.

P.S: Could you guys release a track album or something like that? I really loved the tracks in this game, especially in the last debate phases

ChiefWakamakamu responds:

Hi Drako,
Sure, let's get down to the soundtrack sharing!
Listenable online here: https://soundcloud.com/bleakprospects/sets/socrates-jones-ost
Downloadable here: http://www.dwarfcorp.com/mklingen/Socrates

First and foremost I'll say that I did enjoy this game. The music was smooth, the background art and character art was simple yet effective. The idea is absolutely brilliant. However, a few things that bothered me while I played the game... Ari, as a character, is rather plain, boring, and even annoying at times. I would much rather not have to deal with her fan-girling over Mill, her interjections (during the part with Mill), while I was trying to think and come up with a conclusion, were obnoxious and unneeded. Ironically (being the character that introduces Jones to philosophy) she didn't think very openly when Jones pointed out flaws in her idols ideas, even Mill himself was more rational about it than she was. I could say more, but I'd just be ranting. Jones himself comes across as unintelligent at times when talking to Kant, even the Arbiter seems to become this way around Kant, yet later on the Arbiter proves to be a greater problem than Kant. The characterization of your own characters I found to be a bit weak, but the way each philosopher was presented was pretty entertaining. Another thing is that sometimes the logical fallacy's are obvious in my mind, but I have trouble finding a way to them through the games options. Even on the other hand, I sometimes couldn't even think of an answer and I would click on it by accident while searching through my options. It would be my conclusion that the game isn't limited in options, it just has different options than what people would/could think.

Aside from all that, this game really taught me about philosophy and a bit of history, it does make me think and question statements more often than I already do.

P.S. I liked the nods towards Ace Attorney game, I've never even played those and I still caught on.

TL;DR version
Ari was annoying, Jones was sometimes dumb
Game has a good set of choices, just not the ones I thought of
I enjoyed it overall

This is really amazing and really makes you question your own views on morality! Each argument seemed a bit long-winded and I kind of lost focus a few times but it could just have been me. I'm very proud of the fact that I managed to occasionally give the right rebuttal the first time giving a counterargument. The character art was really nice and the bg gave a calming effect. The music actually didn't annoy me with it's repetitiveness so that's a big plus! Reading the different views really piqued my interest and kept me going, and that twist at the end- man, that was a good'un. Good job man, hope to see more like this!!! (kinda wish Nietzsche made an appearance but eh I'm okay with it!)

I finished the game. That was just awesome ^_^

Very well done! Props for making me think and increasing my IQ!

Great game. I loved every second. It really made me think, which I love doing. I've always loved arguing, and also the Ace Attorney series. I always wanted a less law-centered Ace Attorney game, and I got it! Thank you so much for gracing the earth with this game. I feel you should run a kickstart or groupfund and get a full length version of this out, with more philosophers and maybe a bit less of guess-and-check. I also just wanted to say that the Arbiter's "happy" expression looked very cute for some reason. I love this game, and I love the developers of it.