Reviews for "Captain Robert"

I like it! The music was perfect! Awesome retro feeling! Very cool.

A flawed masterpiece.

The centerpiece here was the brilliant story, but the way it was conveyed to the player is the issue - the logs had numerous spelling and grammar errors, and a large number relied on the player finding them in the correct order, which (as it did in my case) might not necessarily happen. Early on, this resulted in a bit of incredulity as to the quality of the story, and later, once the story has hooked the player, the way some information was simply missing depending on the route I took was a bit off-putting.

The simplistic graphics really aren't a problem for me, particularly given this was made for Ludum Dare, but the other major issue with the game was the lack of any kind of map screen, or even ability to place yourself in the ship. This resulted in a lot of frustrating backtracking and running in circles, occasionally going down the same passage numerous times in a row unintentionally. This could either be fixed with a basic map screen, indicating the player's position as well as the position of important locations, such as the storage door, the cockpit, the escape pod, the greenhouse, etcetera, or with a sort of 'in setting' navigation system, with lines of a partiuclar colour running from the cockpit to each section. For instance, a green line could run from the cockpit to the greenhouse, or a blue line from the cockpit to storage.

If you were to return to this to create a more polished version, this is what I would do:
Add two screens - a map screen accessible via M, and a log screen, accessible via L. When the Captain encounters a log, the log is removed from the world, and an entry is added to the log screen. The combination of these two features would allow the player to more easily navigate the ship, as well as access earlier logs for reference, and hunt down the logs they're missing by exploring parts of the map they haven't accessed yet.

I particularly liked the way the game simply ends when you open the storage door. I'm not going to spoil it for your other players, but I'm pretty sure I know what was on the other side.

All in all, this was fantastic. The issues I mentioned were stumbling points, but I was too engrossed by the story to really care all that much. I'd love to see more story-based stuff from you - once you get a proofreader, of course ;)

koe415 responds:

Thank you for taking the time to write that. The vast majority of the spelling errors are now gone now that I've had more than a few hours of sleep to reread what I wrote. I tried to make the logs as easy to follow as I could in case they were found 'out of order' and I'm glad you stuck through it. I kind of wanted the story to unfold in front of the player as if he were actually just randomly exploring the ship but due to time constraints, I also had a limited number of areas where I could tell the back story of the crew.

If I revisit this game, a log screen and map are pretty high on the list of new features. The ending will also be tweaked to ensure that the player isn't just thinking he broke my game. Again thanks for playing. It means a lot seeing people's responses and reactions.

This game reminded me of that Metroid game on the GBA where you feel stalked by that fake Samus. That's a good thing, since this game relies on suspense. The controls were simple, and I didn't encounter any bugs in the game, assuming that the parts where you can go out of the ship itself is part of the game (and I'm not too sure, considering the 'Hi' that can be found there).

Enough clues are left so that you can at least get a general direction of what happened, but maybe the order of clues was a bit jumbled for my liking. But what I didn't like too much was the total drop of tension when finishing the game (not gonna spoil it) just exits back to the menu. It didn't encourage me to continue immersing myself in the story, and that's what irked me quite a bit. But the fact that I was drawn into this short story shows that it was great. So 4.5/5 is my conclusion.

koe415 responds:

Yeah the ending is very abrupt and kind of leaves people confused for a bit about what just happened. I should have made it more clear what exactly transpired. Regardless I'm glad you still enjoyed it and appreciate the kind words.

An awesome game! I think I have part of the story figured out. Julie was ejected from an airlock. Andy was killed by Butler because he thought he was the monster (explaining why he had multiple stab wounds. Butler was killed by the alien (I assume since he didn't have any visible marks on him). One thing I'm not sure of is whether I was controlling Captain robert or the alien? From the last note I read of him, he was on his way to the escape pod, meaning he had the escape pod key. Perhaps the alien locked him in the storage room (which is why you can't find the escape pod key). I could be very far off base with this idea, but it is just a thought.

The only reason I didn't give you a full five stars is because I wanted to know who was behind the storage room door. I know ending it this way forces us to make our own conclusions, but I really wish I knew what you had in mind for what was behind the door.

Impressive. You could make such a good story up with such simple gameplay. I liked it and hope for a second part. I was first confused who was who....