For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 16 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "Sole Gunner: Mini (DEMO)"

Dude, this wasn't a full game? I freaking had to beat four bosses! At least the medal I got was deserving. At least I think I got a medal. This reminded me of the Mega Man games. I thought it was all quite creative. I appreciate all the work put into this.

It made me want to keep on going, because it seemed to be going on forever. I hope you have a wonderful Robot Day. You deserve the praise with such a nice game like this. I don't know how you lost your weapons. It all worked out in the end.

SinclairStrange responds:

Haha nope, just a wee demo of some levels. The final version will most likely have about fifteen to twenty stages. Medal did unlock, I just forgot to include the info telling you >.<

Hope you have a great Robot Day too!

This would be a cult classic, had it been released on the Gameboy decades ago. There are elements from classic games, such as Megaman, Contra, and Gunstar Hero - yet the game feels totally it's own.

I love the demo and I'll be eagerly awaiting the finished product. Sorry you didn't get it out by Robo-Day.

SinclairStrange responds:

Aye, it was a pity. I just started out when I got a contract in and therefore it needed to be put on hold. Although I was going to be damned if I didn't do something, so I took a break and designed as much I could in a day.

Glad you like the retroness!

The Gameboy lives on...very enjoyable game, I also felt it shared some features of Contra, but this is a different game in it's own right

SinclairStrange responds:

Aye, it does have that Contra feels. (Even though honestly I'm not basing it off that lawl)

This has some amazing potential. The gameplay is solid, the retro graphics and music, motion, etc. is very well done. For a demo and prototype, definately gets me excitied for the full game. Best of luck to you!

SinclairStrange responds:

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the sickle taste I had for offer :)

Amazing! This is truly the best thing I've played in a long time. Well done, especially on the boss design. The graphics and music have a nice feel, personally it reminded me of the old megaman games. I particularly like the way you teach the player how to play your game. It's fairly plain and intuitive at this point, but the way you introduce the falling platforms is done masterfully, again reminiscent of megaman's glory days.

While I really, really enjoyed the demo, I have to confess there are several design choices I disagree with. These are, however, my personal opninions, so feel free to disregard them, should you see fit to do so.

First of all, the weapons. While it is good to encourage the player to keep playing at the beginning of a game by holding their hand a little, in my point of view the weapons are totally overpowered. As soon as I realised I could hold down the fire button, enemies became a minor inconvenience. Why not make the player lose their upgrades if they get hit, la Gunman Clive?

Secondly, the health meter. I know numbers add more variation and balance to the health system, but it would be far more understandable if you simply used a health bar in the HUD. Intrusion 2 had a balanced health system, without overflowing the screen with confusing data.

Thirdly, and this is very personal, you might want to zoom out the screen a little. I assume you haven't done this already as an homage to the classic Game Boy titles, but frankly, it's just needlessly annoying.

Finally, the bosses. Yes, their design is awesome, but I feel like the first one had too much health and became more of a bore than an actual struggle. The third and fourth ones, however, were defeated far too easily by my intensely overpowered gun and heaps of health points. I adore how the fourth boss uses mechanics from the first one, but I killed him as soon as he entered the screen for the second time (I had the flamethrower at that time). The pong robot was very well balanced, on the other hand, and though he never really posed a serious threat to me, he was challenging but fair, and altogether simply fun to fight. I noticed that the ball started moving faster as I drained more of his health, and I feel this mechanic should be included in the other bossfights as well (come to think of it, maybe it was, but I just defeated them too quickly).

To sum things up: your game is awesome and so are you, but you need to balance out the difficulty if you really want to honour Ye Olde Platformers. Other than that, amazing job, old sport :)

SinclairStrange responds:

Wow, awesome review! The bosses do need tweaking, sadly I didn't have time to make sure they were balanced. They all oddly have the same amount of health just some bosses have different recovery time.

As for the weapons, I know they can be a bit overpowered, so I'm not sure you have a bullet counter and when it runs out you go back to your pea shooter. That way it might give the user tactics of either avoiding enemies and give the bullets for the boss or not.

As for the health being numbers, this is a trait Treasure does and as this game is an homage to them, I would like to keep it that way. Same with the screen, although, I could add an option for wide screen.

Again thanks for the review, fantastic pointers that will help me improve!