Reviews for "Motorjoust"

the music are perrrfect and blah blah blah the same of all the people say in one comment
this is a convention of king arthur in motocross

WingDemon responds:

Thanks for playing! Glad you liked it!

-Wingy

I did enjoy this game very much. Having been used to Excitebike and having beaten a lot of the records (except for Stage 5), this came almost naturally to me. Only because this game used a real physics engine, I had to take the damage at the spikes like a champ.

I would like to suggest a Restart option -- because for stages 5 and beyond, it is possible to get stuck in a stage if you make a wrong turn, and then not be able to get out of it. I specifically had this in Stage 5 -- although I've beaten it, I decided to try it again, and sometimes we make mistakes. In this case, the mistake was irreversible and I was stuck.

The music is really good (good on ya, Frootza!) and so was the artwork. The VA reminded me of the few NES games that had voice clips (the only one I've ever played being Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, mind you). The story was simple but quite a solid premise for a motorjousting tournament.

For something assembled in two weeks, this is one of the best games I've seen. It's not pretentious, it's rather realistic about what has been done within the span of two weeks, it has endearing and sometimes hilarious characters, it gives you a sense of achievement when you've beaten each level. If you had no time limit on this game and you had all the time in the world to iron out bugs, etc., or if you're considering making a version 2 of Motorjoust, seriously, go for it. I want to see this game's engine, storyline etc. in its full glory. Who knows? I certainly imagine that it'll have much better prospects -- a lot of avenues will be opened with this game.

4.5/5.

WingDemon responds:

Thanks for playing it! I agree with most of what you said, and if we do make a sequel we'll make sure to do something about it! About the restart button though, pressing the ESC key allows you to exit back to the character select menu from where you can restart the level. so there's that. Anyway glad you liked it!

-Wingy

Was there any reason to go fast? When I think motorcross, I think fast speed, but going fast only makes the game difficult. The select screen is kinda, broken I guess, requiring two presses to select something. I didn't really like this game.

WingDemon responds:

well going fast is one of the criteria for winning a joust, if you went fast the whole time that would kinda ruin the point wouldn't it? :P

Also you're the first one to complain about a menu bug :/ is there anyway you could PM me the details of it? because as far as i know it only takes one click to select anything in the menu. maybe its just your mouse? well whatever it is we'll try to get it sorted out!

-Wingy

Great game! I really like the music and art style. Very professional and superb!

I don't like how the game has the instructions written down in a different screen. I know it's a complicated game, but when people play flash games, the attention value tends to be quite low for a lot of people (Or at least that's what Tom Fulp thinks as he mentioned in a podcast). It's much better to have a good tutorial level with as minimal written material as possible to guide the player. That will get people hooked in the first five minutes rather than rage quit to the next flash game.

However, my biggest complaint is the controls:
Quote: "We tried to make [Motorjoust] as retro as possible", says the long description of the game.
The funny thing about that quote is that I don't quite see it in the physics! I would say that was due to the physics engine (Which I "suspect" is Box2D).

Of course, the physics problems are defiantly not because of lazy programing.... Oh no, that would be very silly to say. The programmer you have is really great having made a really well done in-game level editor, a feature missing in a lot of 2D games. But I would say he is a little misguided for making the game feel realistic rather than retro. Example: The balance controls in mid-air feels like controlling a snowmobile rather than a bike. Also, when I press UP or DOWN, please let me detach from the driving lane without a fifty-fifty chance of leaping off into space and landing face first on a large chunk of spikes please!

Finally, a brief mentioning to the music. I love 8-bit harmonies and this soundtrack is no exception, I love it too!

You might think I didn't like the game a lot because of my lengthy criticism of the controls but that's in the end a small bump in a very good, very mesmerizing flash game 9/10 - 5/5

WingDemon responds:

Yeah we wanted to try to bring some new life into the retro take on games by throwing in real physics and while the response has been lukewarm it did accomplish what a Game Jam is about and that's trying new/ different things. Thanks for playing!

-Wingy

I loved it! Sure the controls were a bit awkward, but the art was top notch! Also incredible music! I found myself playing simply because I wanted to see and hear as much as I could from this team of talented artists.

WingDemon responds:

Haha Glad you thought so! Thanks for playing!