Reviews for "Motorjoust"

Was there any reason to go fast? When I think motorcross, I think fast speed, but going fast only makes the game difficult. The select screen is kinda, broken I guess, requiring two presses to select something. I didn't really like this game.

WingDemon responds:

well going fast is one of the criteria for winning a joust, if you went fast the whole time that would kinda ruin the point wouldn't it? :P

Also you're the first one to complain about a menu bug :/ is there anyway you could PM me the details of it? because as far as i know it only takes one click to select anything in the menu. maybe its just your mouse? well whatever it is we'll try to get it sorted out!

-Wingy

Great game! I really like the music and art style. Very professional and superb!

I don't like how the game has the instructions written down in a different screen. I know it's a complicated game, but when people play flash games, the attention value tends to be quite low for a lot of people (Or at least that's what Tom Fulp thinks as he mentioned in a podcast). It's much better to have a good tutorial level with as minimal written material as possible to guide the player. That will get people hooked in the first five minutes rather than rage quit to the next flash game.

However, my biggest complaint is the controls:
Quote: "We tried to make [Motorjoust] as retro as possible", says the long description of the game.
The funny thing about that quote is that I don't quite see it in the physics! I would say that was due to the physics engine (Which I "suspect" is Box2D).

Of course, the physics problems are defiantly not because of lazy programing.... Oh no, that would be very silly to say. The programmer you have is really great having made a really well done in-game level editor, a feature missing in a lot of 2D games. But I would say he is a little misguided for making the game feel realistic rather than retro. Example: The balance controls in mid-air feels like controlling a snowmobile rather than a bike. Also, when I press UP or DOWN, please let me detach from the driving lane without a fifty-fifty chance of leaping off into space and landing face first on a large chunk of spikes please!

Finally, a brief mentioning to the music. I love 8-bit harmonies and this soundtrack is no exception, I love it too!

You might think I didn't like the game a lot because of my lengthy criticism of the controls but that's in the end a small bump in a very good, very mesmerizing flash game 9/10 - 5/5

WingDemon responds:

Yeah we wanted to try to bring some new life into the retro take on games by throwing in real physics and while the response has been lukewarm it did accomplish what a Game Jam is about and that's trying new/ different things. Thanks for playing!

-Wingy

I loved it! Sure the controls were a bit awkward, but the art was top notch! Also incredible music! I found myself playing simply because I wanted to see and hear as much as I could from this team of talented artists.

WingDemon responds:

Haha Glad you thought so! Thanks for playing!

-Wingy

This was a fun game, I liked the music and controls, reminded me of my N.E.S. days. I also liked the art. keep up the great work!

WingDemon responds:

Thanks man! Glad you liked it!

-Wingy

This game is really bad. The controls are awful, the music is okay, and the second half of the game is really hard. If you plan on remaking this game, don't rush. I'm sure it could be better.
Also...

"You can go fuck your own hypocritical ass with your shitty minecraft skins."
-Test
That was uncalled for. I would say more about this, but I review games, not insults. Hopefully, you can make a better game next time.

WingDemon responds:

actually what Test said wasn't uncalled for, if you actually read the review the guy clearly said that pixel art was for people that were lazy, though he was alot more hostile. Not only was that insulting towards Test who did the sprites and a majority of the games art, its an insult to most of the pixel artists in the world. Plus he was being a hypocritical ass since he did share pixel art minecraft skins on his NG profile. If you're going to say more about it, then think twice before doing so.

also, your statement about us rushing it, it was a Game Jam game, we had 2 weeks to make it. you try making a game in two weeks while taking the abuse of NG trolls 0 blamming the game and basically leaving POS reviews (not unlike yours) and having to pretend to be nice to them. Its hard on a person. So i highly doubt it was uncalled for.

And an absolute like "this game is really bad" beginning your review, which btw included no constructive criticism and poses an opinion differed on by a large group of people completely negates the authority in which you say 'I review games, not insults' because really it makes you sound like a preteen ass.

I've tried to be nice and respond to every review on this game in a positive way, but its hard having to deal with bullshit reviews like yours made from the perspective of an idiot that doesn't know shit about game development and thinks his review actually means something.

Anyway, i hope you're having a nice summer. Enjoy the rest of middle school chum. hope you don't get pushed off a cliff anytime soon.