Reviews for "JUGGERNAUT: Awakening"

I know to you as a developer, this sounds like a lame excuse, but your game is simply unacceptably slow early on, even for a JRPG. I want to like your game, I really do, but you give me nothing besides story early. The random encounters are so frequent, the character's movement speed is so slow, the character's can do nothing besides basic attacks, the enemies take so many hits....this all just conpounds on each other to take the fun out of your game. If you had just one of two of these, it would be forgiveable, but will all of these plaguing your game, at least initially, it makes it a chore to play.

So far I liked the dialogue, and I'm going to guess that the game's strength lies in the story and characters more than the combat system, and while that might be true, story needs good gameplay to keep the player interested. A game needs an almost impossibly good story to keep the player going when gameplay is as boring as it is in this game, and the story isn't that good.

Can't get the game to start. It finishes loading and says "Press S". Well I've pressed every S on the screen and nothing happens!

But in all seriousness, I can't get the game to start -_-. I've tried collapsing and reloading and nothing seems to fix it. Perhaps the problem stems from using a mac or Safari. Let me know if you find anything.

TheEnkian responds:

Hmm, have you tried clicking within the window? Flash can be a bit dodgy if you don't. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem could be. If clicking in the window doesn't work, message MSGhero. He's the programmer and I'm sure he'd be able to help you out better than I could.

ThiefofZ said it best. I think this game needs some work before it becomes a solid. Balance is a major key in making a good RPG, and I feel that this is lacking just that. If you can smooth that out, then maybe I'd consider giving this a higher score. Until then, it's not happening.

This game could've been great. I assume it's based on Final Fantasy. Although I don't get the same feeling when I play it. Final Fantasy had just more flashy thingies.

Like the guy below me, I noticed the second part on front page and I thought it would be nicer if I can finish the first one first. But boy I don't even know if I can even do that, thanks to the problems in the game.

As what people have said, this game is too slow, boring, and dull. First of all, the forest maps are too big and the characters moved too slow. To add, the enemies are too strong so that slows my progress even more. Characters missed too often, and all they can do is auto-attack. So boring and slow. The enemies takes like 3-4 hits to kill, and the enemy can just skill 3 times to kill my characters. How am I supposed to get to the end if I have to heal every 3-4 fights? Sure, I can just flee all of my battles, but really?

Then I thought, I need to grind a bit until they are stronger. Then, the second problem comes in. It is tedious. It is hard. They need so much to gain a level, it's not even funny considering I'm on the FIRST map, and I'm leveling my characters from LEVEL 1 to LEVEL 2 (yes, we started at level 6 but it means that lv 6 is practically lv 1). Then when I levelled up, I can only used my skills twice on each before they are out of mana. Perfect. Please dont make your players grind from the beginning. I didn't feel that I achieve anything, no items, no gold, nothing, so how can you expect me to grind on the first place? That's why many good RPGs instead force you to grind on the middle/late stage of the game, because they wanted to lay out the basics and foundation of the gameplay first.

All in all, this game needs some serious boosting in speed and difficulty decrease. It feels so boring and you don't feel any satisfaction from progressing, or even from getting stronger because those are unachievable. A hard RPG doesn't always mean that it is a grinding-intensive RPG.

So, if you are reading this, devs, please be kind to me and pm me the spoiler/summary on what happened in this chapter so I can move on with the second game.

TheEnkian responds:

Yeah, I entirely agree. Many design mistakes were made and I admit that it's on me. Writing you a PM with the plot details straight after sending this.