Reviews for "JUGGERNAUT: Awakening"

what everyone else is saying, and i beat the game (mostly by running away from 90% of fights since the flee action always works), but i was playing it from a non-end game save and doing all the sidequests, but now the save is broken, and i get stuck on a white screen with the main menu music playing whenever i try to load it

It's an okay game.

Storyline - work in progress so as long as you continue with this then there is potential.
Music - nothing completely epic about it though it does a good job.
Graphics - could be a lot better.
Difficulty - pretty hard, even after you lowered the difficulty and gave more item and leveled the characters. I believe the main problem is exp gained from battles needs to be increased so there is less grinding to become stronger.
Saving - found out I couldn't load my previous save game (on slot 1) after finishing the game and saving the end game data on slot 2. It was still there but a white screen came up with nothing happening. This was quite disappointing as I wanted to finish the side quests and find how to get to that other area on the map (if even possible). So basically... It's broken.
Battles - need more magic, unless you're saving that for later but a healing spell in the beginning would have been nice. Not much strategy involved.

To VoidForce - as you were titled as the artist, it would be nice if you could post any of your work up on your page and congratulations on your first game.

To MSGhero - you have 3 average games and this one is turning out the same. The game sequels I'm expecting to see improvement on.

To Mattlaaa - not much to say. Music fitted the game well so you did your job well.

Pretty average game that could use some work on. The main problem with me that if you're creating an adventure rpg in this style I have to compare you with other games like this. I didn't hate this game and I played to the end so would like to see how the sequel turns out.

Very bad game balance issue at the start. It's obvious the "intended" strategy is that the kids should flee all but 1 fight per level, but as RPG gamers expect fleeing might fail or imply at least one enemy volley causing damage, and all RPG NPCs warn of the same "gave dangers" of the forest, this is not at all an obvious or natural strategy.

Grinding isn't a viable strategy until the 4th member joins and bolsters the fighting performance of the team. There is no way to make -any- income sufficient to replace the potions you spend to grind. (Yeah, the side quests are stingy.)

*** Starting at level 5 is -NOT- an improvement. You need to level a few times for "skills" to be a viable alternative to the weak stick attack, and starting at a higher level means more grinding.

solns:
- The NPCs should give more foreshadowing of the "flee" strategy. The parents could say. for instance, "the local animals are slow and scared of you, so running away is ALWAYS a safe option."
- Start at level 1, but make the base attack of the kids stronger.
- Put save/heal spots/shelters mid-level, so grinding isn't about the boring hanging near the level entrance and going back to the village after each battle.
- There should be a safe spot near the village where the kind can gain elemental skills under adult supervision... and earn potions or $ for chores. Repeatable chores, unlike the side quests.

Final note: in the inventory/party menus, having to "select" before the icons in the grins appear mean a lot a tedious in & out navigation. The interface could and should be streamlined, all options could be made accessible and visible from top level, and the up/dn cursor keys could double for select/deselect.

This game has real potential, and shows a massive amount of effort, but needs serious play testing before being posted here. These flaws will alienate RPG addicts, and many will not give a flash RPG a second chance.

This review is for players, that like RPGs but don't have much time to invest into a single flashgame on NG. It may seem QQ, so beware.

Alright, it looks like a classic one. You know, one of those old 8-bit-games, love 'em. The story seems deep, you have three kids in a forest village, bored out of their minds, so they wanna start exploring and go deeper into those forbidden woods and beyond. Backgroundwise you can find bits and pieces about an old war, three countries and lost tech laying around all over the world.

But every single RPG is judged by its Battle-System. This one is Round based, with Attack, Magic (which you don't have from the beginning), Item and Flee, pretty standard. There is no auto-attack and the characters seem to have a high chance to miss their targets (around 25%, I guess). The kids only have a stick to bash the monsters with and they have no magic (which everybody in the village seems to have, also the game tells you, that it's kinda like Avatar Elementalbending for them). So sadly, battle is a) terrible slow paced b) not rewarding.

This makes the beginning pretty dull. The first Level-Up is around 7000 EXP and every fight on the first map seems to give only 200-300 EXP with no money and bare to none items, so you have to grind.I played it until all three kids had their first level-up to see if maybe they would learn some kind of attack to make the fights less tedious (and more interesting, I mean: MAGIC, yay!). Nope, you get nothing besides higher stats

I then checked, if maybe I could sell the loot to get better weapons, but everything costs 1000 or more (and I barely reached 500 Gold including the 400 Gold from the Start). This is, where I stopped playing, because I didn't see any point in it.

This game needs a way bigger carrot for beginners, to motivate them to play. Giving each character a single elemental spell would help. If not (maybe it's storywise not rational), the loot should be sold for way more than 10G ea. Otherwise battling is too dull: 2-3 Fights, run back to village and heal up, 2-3 Fights, run back to village and heal up, 2-3 Fights, run back to village and heal up...

Thus, it's only 2.5 Stars :(

I was interested in this game because I saw the second part on the front page. I did now expect a perfectly polished game, however I also expected a lot more.

The biggest problem the game had for me was the gameplay. It feels very slow and boring and most aspects in the game underline this issue.
- First of all I could not distinguish the main characters very well. They were all wearing boring brown clothes with a bit different hair. They all hitted with a stick and their magic spells were just different colours for the same bolt.
- The fights looked static, the characters as well as the enemies barely moved and the whole fighting area had nothing interesting to look at.
- The levels were empty as well as the town. The trees all looked the same and there were far to long pathes through them. It felt as if the game was streched out for no real purpose. Why exactly were all the doors in the houses locked? Of course in real life no one has the doors to their bedrooms opend, however in my opinion it's always nice to find a small treasure if you explore every corner of a town.
- Leveling up was tedious, enemies doged often and most of the time they did not even drop something useful.
- Items were far to expensive and not really that useful. And collecting money is a real pain, do you honestly expect someone to collect 20.000 for the medal?

And then, when I thought I had reached something in this game I tried to reload, however it lead me to a white screen and I realised I had wasted a hour of my life.
I would have liked to find the two hidden extras I could see in the medals however I am not willing to play through this a second time, sorry.

I can give you some points for the graphics and the music. The story was a
the most positive aspect of this game as well. When I went through the menus I did also find the first signs of potential for future episodes in this series. I could see that you have planned a lot more for later parts, however I do have to rate this part on it's own.
I am however looking forward to play the second part, as it looks very promising.

I would vote 2/5 and 6/10 as you put work into it, the story seemed somewhat interesting and I could see some potential, however the save bug honestly annoyed me. 2/5 5/10.

TheEnkian responds:

I know that you've addressed how we've improved a lot of things in this game for the second so I'll keep this brief and give a longer response in JUGGERNAUT II. Initially, it was intended to make the engine a little more interchangeable so that the games came out quickly, but we realised that that just wouldn't work very well.

I feel like I tried to make things too "realistic" in this game in that it would take a lot of training to improve, such basic items from the forest wouldn't sell for a lot, etc. It was a massive mistake on my part and will not happen again in any other games that I make.