Reviews for "Mars Colonies Demo"

Awesome game; it has a bit of a learning curve but it is worth it; I wish it had more missions. Playing fullscreen is a must. Quick start: build Living Quarters, ramp population to 4, build Personal Module in a good defensive location, under Jobs ensure all workers can Collect Minerals, mark nearby minerals, ramp population to 7, upgrade Personal Module to Bunker. After you have 1 Hydroponics and 1 Oxygen Station, ramp population to 10; after you have 2 each, ramp to 13-16. Plumbing and electrical are expensive; build structures close together and only what you need; electric cables and water lines can overlap. Avoid combat until you are ready; click nearby minerals to mark them for collection to keep workers close to home; if a worker wanders into combat, tractor beam and drop them back at base. Upgrade your Personal Modules to Bunkers to help defend your base; upgrade the Living Quarters with a Medical Bay so workers can heal after combat; click the pirate capsule immediately after it lands to mark it for destruction. Extract metal for the entire game; after a Metal Extractor runs dry AND its stock reaches 0/0, demolish it so it stops consuming electricity. When there are no further places to store Components, the Component Factory will wait, and then the Metal Extractor will wait. The game runs faster when a building/person is not highlighted.

The games Tutorial is not only obnoxious but it doesn't even explain the main mechanics and how to set things up properly.

There is a green and a blue tile on every building, those need to be connected with a power cable and a water pipe, otherwise your buildings stay offline all the time.

Intese

So this was really "INTENSE" the game was very welldone some massive amounts of detail and the "MUSIC" was just right and glad you won a could of awards on this one very fitting I could see this game being improved with much more details and elements and even more fancy effects but overall I had fun with this one.

~~THINGS TO IMPROVE ON~~

~X~

WARNING IF YOU LEAVE FOR A WHILE WITHOUT DO NOTHING AND COME BACK TO PLAY IT, CRASH THIS OR THE SECOND LEVEL IN THE MIDDLE TO ACHIEVE IT CRASH. IM PLAYER AND NEVER HAPPEN THIS BEFORE I´M OLD PLAYER OF THIS AWESOME GAME*****.

Awesome. Well done!

Lots of cityplanning (layout and build order); enough micro management to give you freedom, but you can also leave it; it's slow, so you can take your time and hit the FastForward button when you're ready; cool graphics (makes me think of a cuter Dune II), cool music!, good sounds; the difficulty lies in finding the right tactics, not in surviving waves of enemies, so after every mission restart you learn something more ; most awesomest currency; pew pew lasers; lots of alliterations;

I had no problem understanding the game (hurray for tooltips). There were a few things i had to figure out, but nothing illogical, and for me it added to the charm. (the D'OH moment when i found out pipes and cables can go on the same square, when i was in mission 5... hehe)

It's a slow game, so i'm glad you added a FF button. It makes a world of difference.

When the colonists come back from a fight they don't charge their weapons, so when i buy a few more and then try to zerg before i build base, the "older" colonists leave battle after 2 shots. This is kinda annoying. And when an enemy building is almost down, and an enemy comes out, they all go after him, while the building could be out in 3 seconds (Yes, and then i got killed and invented some new swearwords). But i guess cursing at your fighters is part of RTS games :)

An in-mission save system would be nice, for after a heavy battle or when searching for water. Then again, it might make the game too easy, so i'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Rotating buildings would be nice, although right now it adds to the planning element.

Well, it seems i debunk all my own criticism, so you did real well :) After i finish the game i will definitely check out the new project.

Hmm now, if the fight takes too long, i might get in trouble with food, but if i rush my hydroponics i'll be low on iron, which i'll have to buy anyway, because that iron area is so far away i'll have to spend a lot of components, so i need a factory, but then i don't have anything for oxygen supply. Then again, now it's only 1 enemy, and in 5 minutes it might be 5. But maybe i should go after the raiders first, in stead of the loonies, they can drop pods. But for them i need more soldiers etc etc etc. Ah what the hell, for Science!