Reviews for "Mona Lisa's"

Yeah, you really need to work on the difficulty. I figured you just hadn't tweaked the challenge right, but when I got to the space invaders section, right on schedule, at level 8 it went from almost tediously easy to suddenly ridiculous. That 'too fast to hit' thing that happened in the original game with the last alien happened with the last *eight* aliens. Old fashioned arcade games were hard, but they generally eased up their difficulty at a steady rate, they didn't lull you into a false sense of security, then mug you for all the quarters you had left.

I appreciate the callbacks you did. I like, for example, that you coloured the invaders screen as though there were three different cel tints on a black-and-white screen, so your shot changed colour as it sped up the screen. That, sir, is an old-school reference.

But I think you should consider that a flash game is usually one well-developed mechanic. With three mini-games (I never got to the third one, but you describe three), you've essentially made three flash games one third the quality of one you could have potentially made. Focus on one thing, and you'll end up with a better experience. Tune the game so it's actually fun, instead of throwing in random-ass poison gas until it's sufficiently difficult at a predetermined stage.

Would have been four but in the 7th wave it seems like if you lose two hearts you start the level over either that or you are able to be double jeporadied when you get hit.

That running bit. I liked it, but those floor spikes are way too goddamned picky about success conditions. They can catch you while you're on the way up from the floor, you can't buffer jumps so even if you hit it a tiny bit early you're screwed, and they're placed farther apart than I would expect given the rhythm of the jump function. They killed me a lot, and very few times did it feel fair.

Everything else was pretty decent! Last level of Space Invaders was a bit of a jerk, considering it was time-based instead of number-of-enemies-based like the original, but it's just hard and not quasi-impossible.

I also had a problem with the first section; you spawn a lot of coins on the first couple floors early on, and so you feel like coins won't be a problem. I saved up for the Financial Advisor first, but then the coins spawned out of my only-have-one-jump range and then stayed there, refusing to expire, giving me no chances to buy anything else. So I JUST had the Financial Advisor for my first playthrough. Not really what I expect you designed for.

I enjoyed the game, despite these itchy bits. I hope you'll address 'em, though.

Difficulty gets ramped up way too fast, way too soon. The first few levels are fun in each segment, but after that, it just gets too hard to have any fun anymore

this isn't so bad, i'm enjoying it, but i can't freaking do the running level cause of the commands... when i use the -> key (bullet mode to destroy walls) to jump i need to smash my keyboard, i kinda like the music and the concept too (nostalgia mode on).