Reviews for "From Nothing"

I love how the medals can translate to "Fighting for nothing". This is one of those games that seem to "talk" to the player directly while breaking any notions of fourth wall, mocking its very existence as a "game" - in a word: post-modernism. I personally view it as one of those "passing thoughts", as you say, where you think of yourself as the egocentric woobie character: you're alone, you're bullied in some ways, you feel enormous social pressure, you feel like you're manipulated by somebody/thing, etc. You always try something new, to break the loop, but you fail and instead, complicate your own life while digging your own hole further down below. I think this game is about acceptance, in the end. We can't escape Nature's ways of existing, the very framework from which we are born, but that doesn't mean we can't do nothing to solve the problems we created in the first place. Negative or positive message, that's up to you. The only cons I can spot here are the somewhat sloppy, imprecise controls (making the game a lot more challenging than what it should be), the relatively overall short length of the experience, and repetitive uninspiring music. It is however, a good experiment whose foundations lie on ideas that need to be shared more often in the video game panorama.
Well done.

lagemanngui responds:

You totally got this. No words to describe . Thank you for this awesome review!

Sad it ends soooo fast! :(
In general, brilliant game: soundtrack is awesome and soothing, original gameplay, nice simple graphics (minimalism, as I say). There are only two things which are not very good: a little bit weird controls (not enough sensitive, I think) and... that it ends too soon :)

Fun game. ^_^ Like the music...though...I found a few glitches in the game that I am not going to openly post for all to see... Perhaps the creator of the game already is aware of these glitches, though. Either way. Really interesting game. :)

Very nice game but the medals are not working, you can get them but they just don't appear on the "Recent Game Medals" in my page.

lagemanngui responds:

Oh dat medals! In my last game medals are taking a while to show in players profiles, like 2 or 3 days (I heard is a Newgrounds bug) but after this time they start to work properly. If they don't show up today I will try to find some error in the game code and do some programming wizards. Thanks for playing!

Sorry I seem to be the exception here but it didn't do it for me. Controls were awkward... strange design decisions like the grunting sound every time you jump.. lack of intuitive level design... there's an interesting idea here but I think that it fell short when being translated into actual game design.