Reviews for "The Forgotten Dungeon"

Invisible skeletons! What the heck?

First off, the good! Style of the game is more reminiscent of Nox than Diablo, but I like that; Nox had a certain feel of acomplishement different than Diablo. Controls are simple, which is a must in dungeon crawlers, variety of weapons and monsters is good especially if you take into consideration that this is a flash game. Randomly generated dungeons is an excellent feature, I presume it was a bi*ch to script. Music is good as are sound effects (although I think most of the sound effects are form Age of Empires, but I could be wrong). Interface is nicely done, responds very well to the in-game events.

Now, the bad. Game is a bit sluggish, the animation needs to be more fluid. Although the music is atmospheric, the graphics are not; too bright for a dungeon crawler. Interactable objects are a bit difficult to discern from surroundings, although you familiarise yourself with the enviroment fairly quickly. The inexistance of character classes is dissapointing; player-character feels like a jack-of-all-trades able to do anything he desires. You sholud have, at least, added the standard set of classes (I'm talking about fighter-rouge-mage trio). Spells have no collision and don't do what they are intended to do (FireBall acts more like FireBolt!!!). Some spells are unnecessary (specifically, IceBall and both arrow spells).
I liked the game, but I think it needs a little bit more variety and a lot of polish for it to be perfect. Now, I might have high standards and it is not excluded that I have tried to view this game as a full-fledged PC game instead of flash one. Still, I think you're on the right track. Great effort, keep it up!
3.5/5

Game has a lot of potential! Click detection seemed off at times (sometimes had to click a chest or enemy 2-3 times before it registered); keyboard shortcut keys had the same problem (sometimes pressing "I" opened my inventory, but usually not).

The logo and map were the biggest annoyances for me; occasionally an enemy would approach from that corner, and either a pop-up would block my view upon clicking the logo, or the monster would be protected under the map area. Could the logo be shrunk and put to the right of the menu bar?

Everything else seemed to work, though the game got a little repetitive. Maybe add a bit of storyline, or unique boss creatures (using different sprites, perhaps)?

Thanks for the submission!

fun but very easy. everything is a pushover once you get lightning

I'd like this game very much, if it wasn't so horribly unbalanced.

Health: While the character only needs 3-4 hits to dispatch an enemy (with a damage of 35-40), the enemies, while dealing like the double of that (~100 without armour equipped), need 50 hits, because the character has crazy amounts of hp. Unfair and not really fun

armour value: I tested it and found that defense is useless.
I faced one of the big bosses without any armour and the difference of that (~350 points of defense) was a meager 50 points. The same reduction of 50 points applies to attacks by all the other monsters.

The magic, specifically charge lighting: When such weak spell (in diablo) can kill bosses with one salve, You know, that it's too powerful.

To solve problems 1 and 2, I propose You don't increase all the stats at every level up, but make the surpluses of armor enchantments higher. That would lower the characters max hp/mana and give defense, protection spells and potions importance.
Against the ability to supercharge spells, add an incrementing level/stat requirement. Have the arrow spells dexterty as requirement and most of the others intelligence of course.

And 16 classes of monsters? Maybe, You meant 16 different sprites? Actually, there are only ranged, melee and if we want to count the special abilities of some poisonous attack and freezing attack, excluding the bosses and generals. ;3

And a last thing, I also encountered that 2x2 room bug. Restarting the game solves this, You keep your progress but have to fight the boss again. I think, this occurs when standing in the middle of the room, while the portal appears. (I haven't tested this.)