Reviews for "Ode To Pixel Days"

decent

thanks

This is an interesting twist to regular pixel games, a lifelike dialog combined with a regular platformer. For the most parts its simple run, jump and avoid the monsters, but it gets progressively more and more puzzling too. The dialog that keeps streaming as you move on is an interesting edition, and the sprite graphics are easily likable. Nice idea, and a fun game!

-cd-

talhakaya responds:

thank you! glad you had a nice time with it.

Damn, I got stuck in "dangerous" first falling blocks level... It's superfrustrating to start again (thankfully, just from some part, not beginning). Well, the game itself was refreshing from all this art games where you "deserve" the girl, who unlike you isn't as a person as a prize or some fleshless ideal. The first sentence "Hans likes a cheerleader. Because she was pretty." perfectly shows how messed up his thinking is, wanting her BECAUSE she is pretty but not willing to give anything in return.

talhakaya responds:

Ah, I really thought I got rid of that bug already :/ sorry. If this happened to anyone else, just press escape and hit "continue game".

Glad you caught that first sentence! It's me, trying to say, that "relationship" was dead from the beginning, because all Hans wanted was a nice looking girl.

What's the point? I don't understand the end!

talhakaya responds:

Click "Extras" on the menu if you want to know more :)

I thought it was pretty great, especially the idea of becoming more pixelated being desirable for someone with image issues. Of course every guy knows what it feels like to not have your feelings returned. A twist on this story appears in the film Cinema Paradiso, which I recommend. (But don't ask me what it means). Perhaps even had the cheerleader accepted him, what he really wanted (acceptance) would be sated and he wouldn't even want her anymore. You allude to this at the end of your story when he begins to focus more on himself, however I simply couldn't understand why after he discovered himself the world turned gray.

talhakaya responds:

your interpretation of it great! Just what I wanted to do. But I decided finishing with the "gray world" to tell that the real world is still a dark place, and Hans has to adapt to it.