Reviews for "I Can't Escape"

Sorry your game has to many invisible holes
(and i know to look out for the patch of grass covered holes and ghosts)

Works perfectly on win 8 here (using opera).

The game itself didn't kept me captivated too long but it has that nice retro feel :)

The look reminds me a little of Doom :)

I desperately want to like this game. It reminds me of happier days spent playing a public domain game called Labyrinth on my Commodore 64... but far more frustrating and unfair.

My first gripe is that when I find a ladder, almost always a) there's a hole in front of it, or b) no hole but I fall down anyway. This seems remarkably unfair, especially b). Whether this is an artifact of your maze generator, or deliberate, I cannot say.

The second is that you seem to have wandering monsters that drag you down if they touch you - but you never see or hear them coming. I suspect this is related to my "falling through solid floor" issue. Far more excitement could be had in the sequel by adding cues to indicate a monster's proximity and where.

Thirdly: Gates. Some open. Some don't. There is no visual cue as to whether one will open or not; no visual cue as to how many keys you have to open said gates. From comments I gather that you have to collect these and then find an X to reach the exit for the secret ending.

Finally... I am convinced that your maze generator modifies the levels during the game! In my last game, I walked around the cell holding an exit ladder, started again and found a gate and hidden doorway that wasn't there before. I don't know about you, but I rather like maps that stay relatively static. Who needs monsters when the maze itself seems to be the monster?

If you make a sequel, I suggest:
1) 'freezing' the generator during gameplay;
2) adding indication of monsters in vicinity (forcing the player to run away);
3) making the keys more important - say, by placing them on lower levels and forcing players to drop down to collect them, then struggle to conserve same on the way up;

Actually, with relation to 1), another option might be to, at regular and distressing intervals, have the maze move things around - holes, gates and so on - in other words, play up the angle of 'the maze IS the monster'. In other words, go down to get up - preferably without falling too far and being eaten.

So technically, a good concept, but unpleasantly hard in the wrong way as executed.

I finished it, but I don't get it. I suppose you have to end up on the 2nd floor in order to get keys on the first and then the X teleports you to where the finish is, but the sequence is just odd.

Can't replicate the result without trial and error and the ending was not worth the 2+ hours spent trying to figure it out.

davidmaletz responds:

Yeah, the secret ending is very tough to get (even if you know the trick). Vannius suggested a great idea for how I could make escaping more logical, if still challenging. What the game's really about though is going deeper and seeing how deep and dark the cavern gets!