Reviews for "I Can't Escape"

Works perfectly on win 8 here (using opera).

The game itself didn't kept me captivated too long but it has that nice retro feel :)

The look reminds me a little of Doom :)

I desperately want to like this game. It reminds me of happier days spent playing a public domain game called Labyrinth on my Commodore 64... but far more frustrating and unfair.

My first gripe is that when I find a ladder, almost always a) there's a hole in front of it, or b) no hole but I fall down anyway. This seems remarkably unfair, especially b). Whether this is an artifact of your maze generator, or deliberate, I cannot say.

The second is that you seem to have wandering monsters that drag you down if they touch you - but you never see or hear them coming. I suspect this is related to my "falling through solid floor" issue. Far more excitement could be had in the sequel by adding cues to indicate a monster's proximity and where.

Thirdly: Gates. Some open. Some don't. There is no visual cue as to whether one will open or not; no visual cue as to how many keys you have to open said gates. From comments I gather that you have to collect these and then find an X to reach the exit for the secret ending.

Finally... I am convinced that your maze generator modifies the levels during the game! In my last game, I walked around the cell holding an exit ladder, started again and found a gate and hidden doorway that wasn't there before. I don't know about you, but I rather like maps that stay relatively static. Who needs monsters when the maze itself seems to be the monster?

If you make a sequel, I suggest:
1) 'freezing' the generator during gameplay;
2) adding indication of monsters in vicinity (forcing the player to run away);
3) making the keys more important - say, by placing them on lower levels and forcing players to drop down to collect them, then struggle to conserve same on the way up;

Actually, with relation to 1), another option might be to, at regular and distressing intervals, have the maze move things around - holes, gates and so on - in other words, play up the angle of 'the maze IS the monster'. In other words, go down to get up - preferably without falling too far and being eaten.

So technically, a good concept, but unpleasantly hard in the wrong way as executed.

I finished it, but I don't get it. I suppose you have to end up on the 2nd floor in order to get keys on the first and then the X teleports you to where the finish is, but the sequence is just odd.

Can't replicate the result without trial and error and the ending was not worth the 2+ hours spent trying to figure it out.

davidmaletz responds:

Yeah, the secret ending is very tough to get (even if you know the trick). Vannius suggested a great idea for how I could make escaping more logical, if still challenging. What the game's really about though is going deeper and seeing how deep and dark the cavern gets!

FINALLY finished it!!!!!! man was that hard!!!!