Reviews for "Dr Vile- The Greater Good"

I agree with HanzoKarasu, altho there are other possibilities, maybe you could have a small squad of robots or minions too follow you? maybe customise them for players (thugs, zombies, robots, aliens, mutants, etc) and unlockable weapons would be a huge plus, as well as bonus stats and abilities, a karma mechanic be cool, maybe missions too that directly effect karma, for example, mugging people or rescuing them, where as part hunting would fall between neutral depending on what you do, attack a scientist? a military base? civilians? Would you become the worlds scientist saviour or destroyer? be kind of awesome

What great fun!

Often in Ludum Dare games I feel... disappointed. Left wanting. The nature of these games is that they are somewhat unfinished. But here, I got everything I wanted.

Let's start with the characters. You managed to take a brief intro of just a few lines of dialogue and establish a clear and amusing relationship between Dr. Vile and Lexe. Their names are important, memorable, and used in such frequency that they become a natural part of the game instead of stiff insertions because a character often needs a title. I enjoyed playing the part of the failing and affable mad scientist, and loved the devotion and cutesy innocence of his computer sidekick. Her attachment made me feel attached to this character I was playing, because he was important. You do very well at grounding your characters in a setting in which they are significant, (even if minorly in Vile's case). This is not only good game making, but good writing too.

Onto the gameplay. Despite being brief (as it to be expected from a Ludum Dare game), I found this game very enjoyable with just the right amount of challenge. It gave me a straightforward goal while giving me plenty of time to reach it and the freedom to create my own fun. I had a grand time seeing how close I could wreck something to a person before they'd come rushing after me in rage! The numbers of items needed was not tediously unobtainable nor too close in reach... it made the game last a perfect amount of time. One issue I did have was the ray gun. I found it's aiming (slightly to the right) to be a waste of time, and I did not find a use for it. I played around with it some, but found myself dying at the hands of the townspeople while trying to use it properly. After a few tries at it, this weapon went completely unused and I successfully completed the game. If you revise this game, you should consider giving the ray gun a specific purpose.

Next, the art. The sprites were very well done, and despite being simple they were cute and effectively translated the game in an appropriate way. I can't think of a more appropriate art style than 8-bitish pixel art for this, and I thought the colors, animations, and overall feel were very good.

Finally, the music. I found it a bit repetitive and boring, but it is not as important as maybe the gameplay or other factors. That being said, it could have been better and perhaps a bit catchier for the cutesy and energetic graphics and playstyle.

Overall, this was a great game and it much deserved the second place spot it was awarded. I can't wait for the extended version!

Review Rating: 4/5
NG Rating: 5/5

GreenPixel responds:

Thank you for such an in-depth review! :D We're taking your feedback - as well as everyone else's - to make the extended version as awesome as we can make it!

Cool. But poor Dr. Vile...

worthy of a sequel!

I thought this had some decent moments, but probably not something that was that good. I guess it just struck me as weird how the whole game was layed out. Dr. Vile looks like that one guy from "Tekken". In fact, the music even seems to remind me of that game. The artwork was a bit simplistic, but it didn't need to be complicated. At least the premise was very simple.

I especially appreciate how you can hit everything with the bat. You do have to be careful about not getting cocky. A guy can approach you from the side and hit you three times very quickly. Too bad the people you beat up don't give you supplies. It's still fun.