Reviews for "CARPE DIEM"

You have so much technical skill. I loved how you blended the clay with the computer animation. I had to write a review because I think this animation is being held back from what it could be. It seems to use distracting digital effects to appeal to the viewers in lieu of developing characters.

First, the "shaky cam" camera effects. I guess the intent was to make the animation more intimate and endearing, but it did the opposite because it was really distracting and totally phony because it made the animator's hand very obvious. I mean your intention behind the "shaky cam" was really obvious, so it looked fake and I found it annoying. Emotional intimacy in a toon does not come from digital effects, it comes from presentation of character.

The old-film, grainy, vignette effect which was layered over the entire animation was similarly distracting and annoying without contributing anything to the toon itself. Like, just because you CAN put filters doesn't mean you SHOULD put filters. These two things distance the audience from the action of the toon by placing invisible walls between the audience and the characters: first, the invisible wall of the camera and unseen, yet implied, camera man, and second, the invisible wall of the screen which is made obvious by the old-film filter.

In order for viewers to feel immersed in the scene, and to care about the characters and what happens, they should be able to feel like they are actually there in the scene. These two effects prevent that and pull much away from the cartoon.

There's no substitute for the audience's emotional investment in the characters. It's difficult to care about the two characters in this toon, because they don't actually do anything or exhibit much emotion. Their facial expressions change about twice and only at the end. They don't react to what's happening. They're just there. There's nothing to learn about the characters except for that the blue one is sad and the pink one is happy.

Anyways I liked the whimsical animation style a lot. My favorite part was the sun with the squiggly rays. But overall this failed to capture my interest because of the above qualities.

BTW golfinho, down in the comment section, said the music is about sex, go fuck yourself man, someone will believe you.
The main part of the song is "Lets just live, search for happiness where she is"

That was really cute! Amazing animation, too. I like how colorful it all is. Thanks, good work.

Well, now I'm going to have nightmares. Was a wonderful animation though :)

When they go to space i saw a tee-\nee death star and space invaders, all that it needed was a cute SPACE core. The animation was very amazing and pastel to me and i personally love that. It was also very cute and sweet cuz it reminded me of my happy childhood when i would pull people to my little world of my imagination and make them smile and laugh so all in all it was amazing and fantastic soooooooo......5 is my rating