Attention! We're rallying new Supporters to help us keep ads off Newgrounds!

Please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Drawscape"

very unique ...... i want to play just to figure it all out, but i think some work could be put into a true tutorial in the game i had no idea i could go in the "water" until it just happened. tutorial to explain what can happen it doesn't even have to force you it could just be more informative like the first level i completed three times before i figured out how to draw bridges and some of them would disappear and others would not what is up with that?

davidmaletz responds:

Thank you for your comments! The tutorial is there, just broken up throughout the levels. Even though the first level has water, you do not need to enter the water to beat the level (just to get all the coins). Level 6 (Sink or Swim) is the first real water level, and it explains water. But, if you want to explore and experiment and see what happens before the tutorial tells you, that's perfectly fine! You can figure out a lot on the first level through trial and error.

Both shapes will disappear if they are clicked on (to remove them), and they will break if too much force is applied to them. If you make a blue shape high up and let it fall, chances are it will break. Red shapes also disappear over time when force is applied to them, so if you stand on them, they will slowly fade, and if something heavy is on them, they will fade faster. Red shapes are explained in level 3.

Hopefully that helps you!

this isn't really my type of game but i enjoyed playing it
4/5 stars

the platforming is very slippery and that needs to be addressed but other than that good game

Okay, I've reached a point where I simply can not advance. It's the fifth level. I go to this one part where I go down and automatically die. I know there's some hearts down there, but they don't help me at all. Anyway, this is still a very nicely done game. The best thing about it is probably the graphics.

It's nice how it has a very pleasant atmosphere to it. I appreciate how you can customize it. I am glad you don't have to go along the dotted lines exactly. Heck, you can draw something new entirely! It's fun to see a furry do this too.

davidmaletz responds:

Yeah, the dotted lines are only there on the early levels to give you an idea of what to do, the game doesn't show them at all after the fifth level, and on the fifth level, it doesn't show ALL of the shapes you need to make to win. On the fifth level, you need to descend slowly - you can do this by drawing a shape underneath you, and then clicking the shape you are on to remove it, and repeat this until you get close enough that hitting the ground wont kill you (but of course there are many other ways to do it!) The hearts are there to replenish your health after you've drawn shapes to make it down, they won't save you from death.

Glad you liked the game, and when in doubt, try experimenting with what you can do with the shapes! The signs and dotted lines will give you hints, but often you have to figure out tricks yourself!

I really like the idea you are going for here. A few problems though, the audio needs work. I started the game and got stuck with looping audio and had to turn it off. The other thing I noticed was that character couldn't easily run over "lumps" in my drawings, so I ended up stuck and having to restart a level just for not having a perfectly smooth platform. I liked the animations and the character speed felt good, I would suggest you work on the swimming a bit, along with the pillars of water just being there...I get the idea of having them there so the player can get back up, but it looks awkward to just have a square pillar of water hanging around. Seriously though I loved the concept, just needs some more polishing. Keep at it!

davidmaletz responds:

What is the audio looping bug exactly? It works fine for me, playing the songs until they are complete, then looping them. Maybe try updating your flash player, and if that doesn't work, I'll look into it, but it's tough to solve bugs when I can't reproduce them on my machine.

The "lumps" problem is known, it has to do with Box2D (the physics engine used), and is non-trivial to fix. Usually, you can just jump to escape them, and the snags, while annoying, are rare and don't cause major problems. Can you share the level where you got stuck on the lump? Perhaps I can fix it so you can jump to escape it so it's not a level-ending bug.

As for the square pillars of water, I suppose it is kind of silly, but it serves its purpose haha. The levels can be designed so that the water looks like it's contained by land, but the water doesn't flow, it's just a static shape. Maybe having the water flow over the landscape could be pretty cool, especially if it could be manipulated, but that's an idea for another game. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I make a sequel!

Thanks for all the good feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game!