Reviews for "Seedling"

This is the game that brought me to newgrounds. It gave me a really good impression of this place :)

this is just like the legend of zelda

Nice story, cool weapons, awesome bosses, this game has it all. overall a really good game that i highly recommend you play!

I really love this game, and there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said in the reviews already. However, a few of the larger dungeon maps where there's a lot of things going on causes A LOT of lag for me unless I kill a bunch of stuff first, which is hard to do when there's so much lag in the first place.

I love this game so much! It's been really long since I first played it, and playing it again made me feel just the way I felt way back then. Exploration, wondering, battling, gathering items and adventuring always got me going, and this game happens to do all that in a very charming way.

The graphics are simple and pixelated, but they work extremely well for this kind of top-down adventure game, and give this lovely nostalgic feel that I really like. I love the music as well, it's perfectly adventurous in the overworld, and quite mysterious and tense in each dungeon.

Another thing I really love is this game's gameplay, it's an action-adventure where you start out with a basic item set, then collect new items that allow you to fight better but also get through obstructions that you previously couldn't, and the extensive overworld maps provide the player with excellent exploration material to be done with said items. The main objective of the game is to get a seed to replant a huge tree for an Oracle that lives in a village, and in your way stand many different enemies, some slightly intrincate puzzles, eight mysterious dungeons and huge mythical creatures by the end of each dungeon. As you explore the game's map, you find many different places that you can't access, and as soon as you get a new tool in a dungeon, you're finally able to backtrack to the places you've seen before, giving you that very satisfying feeling of accomplishment and discovery.

The battle system works great, with a nice variety of weapons and ways to attack, and enemies that range from cookie-cutter harmless mushroom-like critters to huge beasts with mighty magical powers. Also, the puzzles contained in certain dungeons, especially Lacste, are pretty epic and interesting as well. Furthermore, the dungeons themselves are all pretty well designed, making the player go around the dungeon rooms in a non-linear, but simple fashion, usually involving returning to a previously visited room with a new item to open a new path.

As you run around the game's map, you'll notice a little white humanoid figure looking at you wherever you go. That thing is the "watcher", and it watches you murder each mythical creature in cold blood, and will try to prevent your evil deeds as much as possible. By the end of the game, when you're in the final dungeon (which also happens to be the first due to clever map design), he gives you an option: kill him to get a seed, or get a seed without spilling any blood. In order to get the "bloodless" ending, you'll have to do quite a bit of exploring through the game's maps and dungeons so you can find all the pieces of the "crest", conveniently placed in chests spread around the world, that open the way to the bloodless seed. That does require a bit of memory and backtracking, but it never makes it so that the player has to constantly be running through the same sections over and over again, nor does the player ever have to grind/farm for any reason ever.

The world where the adventure takes place also has some past history to it. Nothing too complex, but it sure adds some flavor to the mix. There's the statue of the Goreback creature that was killed by Sardol long before our adventure takes place, and a few other things that indicate that this world wasn't just spontaneously generated for this one scenario, but rather a world with its own history where our quest happens to unfold. I also like how the game's story plays with our cliché notion that large mighty beasts are always evil, and people who murder them are always heroes, by making it so that Sardol is not seen as a savior, but rather as a brutal killer for slaying a peaceful giant.

I found very few problems with this game in my most recent playthrough, and they are the only things that prevent it from being absolutely perfect. First of all, death is of no consequence at all: you just start over at the exact same map you were at, but at the entrance, and with full health. That makes the extra life upgrade kind of moot. Second, I never managed to figure out what exactly I did to kill certain bosses (I beat Shieldspire and the Owl by basically spamming the sword attack and hoping for the best), while certain other bosses were way too easy (the Times, for instance). Third, there's a part at Lacste where a very powerful creature shoots rocks at you, and there's no way to see them coming unless you've already taken a hit or two, and the creature is so powerful I often found myself wondering if I really had to get past it to beat the dungeon. I don't know, maybe make it so that it only starts shooting when the player is nearby would have made that part a little bit more fair.

All in all, this game is definitely an excellent work, and one of my favorite browser games of all time. It has a pleasant adventurous feel to it that is akin to that of the Legend of Zelda franchise, but in a casual, in-browser and free to play form that I really appreciate.